Good Lord it's hot ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fawking ridiculous. It went from being in the high 40's/low 50's in the mornings in May straight to triple digit temps. I was on the mower for a few hours today and I nearly melted to it like a long forgotten plastic worm fuses to a tackle box tray. I've been taking 2-3 showers a day, and I don't even work a hard labor job. I really have no motivation to do anything I don't have to do or go anywhere I don't have to go. You come home and take a shower, get dressed and go out...and you feel like turning around, taking a shower and going to bed by the time you get there.

This is the kind of weather where a simple dead battery can send a sane man into a fit of rage. The sun is starting to play those sounds from spaghetti westerns.

I hate the summertime a bit more each year. The Pacific Northwest is sounding better and better to me. I'll never understand why people ***** about the winter or snow (save for the people that get it two stories deep).

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
it seems like i can remember back about 20-25 years ago that it was hotter than hell one summer. like 117 type stuff in altus. we would routinely be the hottest place in the whole country. we have been getting close lately.

but this wind...dont ever remember it this bad for so long. we should all put up some windmills.

That was in 1980, the time we arrived at Altus, from Alaska ....... June has been terrible down in the SW Corner of the state. 111 again, 4 times in the last 6 days ...... just plain HOT!!!

Update for Sunday: Just hit 112 with a heat index of 114 ..... 20+ MPH winds ...... :(

Last edited:

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The older I get,the heat bothers me more. I used to work outside in it years ago.

Readddy....drum roll

•the cows are giving evaporated milk.
•the trees are whistling for the dogs.
•you eat hot chilies to cool your mouth off.
•you can make instant sun tea.
•you learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron.
•the temperature drops below 95, you feel a bit chilly.
•you've experienced condensation on your butt from the hot water in the toilet bowl.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The older I get,the heat bothers me more. I used to work outside in it years ago.

This is me too. I nearly fainted from heat exhaustion just watching the forecast ...

My poor little container garden is crispy-crittered ... the only things growing good at my place are dill, lavendar and shasta daisies ...

OKIE-CARBINE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is me too. I nearly fainted from heat exhaustion just watching the forecast ...

My poor little container garden is crispy-crittered ... the only things growing good at my place are dill, lavendar and shasta daisies ...

i didnt even think about a garden this year. with the drought that we have had since before winter, i knew it wasnt going to be worth it. i just want to stay under the a/c and do nuthin. even the a/c cant keep up though. it got up to 80 inside.
it was so hot and windy today, i didnt even want to go out and get in the pool.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are just moving here from South Georgia where it is almost as hot but much more humid and rain is a regular part of the hot months.
BadgeBunny, I think my wife - an avid gardener - is going to be in for a real shock/disappointment. She has a beautiful garden in Valdosta - I don't see how she can recreate it here unless she wants to go for the rock garden/desert cactus look.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are just moving here from South Georgia where it is almost as hot but much more humid and rain is a regular part of the hot months.
BadgeBunny, I think my wife - an avid gardener - is going to be in for a real shock/disappointment. She has a beautiful garden in Valdosta - I don't see how she can recreate it here unless she wants to go for the rock garden/desert cactus look.

Welcome to Oklahoma!! and OSA!! It is not typically this hot or this dry in June. This is more like August weather. There are plenty of plants (besides cactus) that can weather this stuff ... a local nursery can help her out a lot.

And there is a show on OETA (It's Channel 13, I think) called "Oklahoma Gardening" ... OklahomaGardening A lot of their episodes are on YouTube.

Also your local Barnes and Noble has a magazine called "Oklahoma Gardening" which showcases local gardens and plants.

Hope that helps a little.

Latest posts

Top Bottom