GPS advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Garmin 1350 with lifetime maps and traffic. I have only taken one long trip with it, but it worked very well. Just make sure that you have the options set the way you want, especially regarding toll roads. I actually use it going back and forth to work. The traffic really does work. The first time it tried to redirect me, I did not really believe it, but it kept on trying to redirect me. I finally saw traffic in front of me coming to a complete stop and managed to get off the interstate, with some delay. After that I believe it.

Keelty

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I used to have a Magellan and the speaker finally quit so i bought a Garmin nuvi with the lifetime maps and traffic updates.

The Magellan and the Garmin are great units. I can recommend the garmin nuvi also

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Keelty

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mine was a refurb from Tiger Direct and it's worked fine. I've had to reset it twice (pop out the battery) when I've left it in the car when it was over 100 but other than that no hickups.

Here is a link to refurbs at Tiger Direct http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=2372&sel=Mfr%3BMfr_1133,Detail%3B200_1099_32575_32575

Mine too. same place

this is the one i bought

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1952820&CatId=3422

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm planning a long trip by car this summer and am looking in to GPS systems.
We have an iPhone 3GS, but if you're using the phone for GPS (not a particularly good GPS either last time we tried it) then it's not available as a phone/entertainment system so a separate unit seems to be the way to go.
I've looked through some online reviews, but a lot seem to be Garmin ads instead of critical reviews.

I suspect some of you have some advice on standalone GPS units, so tell me all about it.

Just out of curiosity (I'm new to the iPhone world with a 4S) why can't you use the device as a phone/entertainment system simultaneously? Movies/games I can understand as you'd have to pause to look at the map, but music will just keep playing in the background. The reason I ask is that Garmin puts out apps for $50-60 that download the maps to your phone (so you don't need to be in a cell coverage area to use it). You could save considerable coin by going that route but if you're dead set on a handheld unit it's your call.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a couple of Tom-Tom XL's ........ one for my car and one for my wifes car. I just bought another here on the site for my daughters car. They work great!

Latest posts

Top Bottom