GPS advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity (I'm new to the iPhone world with a 4S) why can't you use the device as a phone/entertainment system simultaneously? Movies/games I can understand as you'd have to pause to look at the map, but music will just keep playing in the background. The reason I ask is that Garmin puts out apps for $50-60 that download the maps to your phone (so you don't need to be in a cell coverage area to use it). You could save considerable coin by going that route but if you're dead set on a handheld unit it's your call.

There are a few reasons.

1. A dedicated GPS has a mount which means you can mount it on your dash and always have it visible out of the corner of your eye if you need to see it.
2. Your iPhone GPS is going to suck down its batteries so it would have to stay plugged in the whole time. (which probably isn't a big deal to most people)
3. For my personal taste I like having my iPhone to be used as a phone when I need it. I spend a lot of time on my phone talking on long road trips.
4. The GPS will just do a better job as a navigation device. Better routes, speaks out directions to you, more accurate instructions, more aware of where it actually is, better at announcing future actions, will easily show you how much time / miles are left on your trip, and they do handy things like tell you how close the next gas station is.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prying it out of my wife's hand to use it as a GPS..... not gonna happen.

There are a few reasons.

1. A dedicated GPS has a mount which means you can mount it on your dash and always have it visible out of the corner of your eye if you need to see it.
2. Your iPhone GPS is going to suck down its batteries so it would have to stay plugged in the whole time. (which probably isn't a big deal to most people)
3. For my personal taste I like having my iPhone to be used as a phone when I need it. I spend a lot of time on my phone talking on long road trips.
4. The GPS will just do a better job as a navigation device. Better routes, speaks out directions to you, more accurate instructions, more aware of where it actually is, better at announcing future actions, will easily show you how much time / miles are left on your trip, and they do handy things like tell you how close the next gas station is.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I tried a Garmin 1490 LMT refurb ordered from Walmart via their Web site.
Got it all updated and tried it out. Kinda of awkward entering way points, but seemed OK. That is until it died less than 24 hours later. Took it back to my local Walmart - the person at the service desk said "this looks just like one returned earlier today". No hassle returning to Walmart so I was happy about that.
Eventually ended up at BestBuy and after trying out what they had on display bought a Garmin 2555 LMT. This one is super easy to use, I'm glad I went with then 2555, assuming it lasts.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Telenav app for the Iphone is awesome! Its free unless you want voice commands. If you don't get voice commands, it still gives a bell tone when a turn is coming up. Works for me.
I have a Tom Tom and have ran them side by side. They don't always agree, but either will get you there.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Garmin 1490T or 1490LMT (for lifetime maps). Has lane assist and has not steered me wrong :) Much better than my previous Garmin 8xx series.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you did good getting the Garmin. I have a Tom Tom, and it works alright, and the interface is childly simple. But it's very basic (no waypoints) and the touch screen SUCKS.

JEEPr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had Garmin GPS' for quite some time now. I had an old 2610 and now I have the Garmin 1450 LMT. At first I didn't
like the new one, but after a trip to San Diego then another to Montana I really started to enjoy it. I really love the lane assist as I call it. It shows you what lane you need to be in. That really helped going thru Denver during rush hour. I also use mapsource. It allows you to make your own routes. Basecamp is another application that lets you do the same thing. I like to make my own routes because there are so many great roads out there and I can set up a route to travel on them instead of sticking to the interstate. Making my own routes also gives me more control. I also have this eco route function. It lets me put in mileage, fuel used and price and it figures my gas mileage and how much I'm spending in fuel. It has this little leaf that turns different colors depending on how you're driving it stays green when you're easy and turns orange to red when you hammer the petal.. makes me laugh. I'm sure there is some stupid environmental crap behind it but I just use it to calculate my fuel consumption. I wouldn't go to low end on the Nuvi series. My wife has a base model one and it just tells you to turn, doesn't tell you what street you're to turn on. That's my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Top Bottom