Gun Show Situation, we need a ruling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now the whole thing sounded REALLY sketchy to me, but help me out with an honest, maybe stupid.... question. Why is it a straw purchase? You cannot buy for someone else, I get that. However, doesn't it step on a LOT of toes around here if someone buys something only to sell it to someone else? People brag about that around here all the time, especially recently. Or is because she stated that she intends to sell it and that compromises being a private buyer somehow?

Honestly curious, as I don't buy stuff to flip it.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now the whole thing sounded REALLY sketchy to me, but help me out with an honest, maybe stupid.... question. Why is it a straw purchase? You cannot buy for someone else, I get that. However, doesn't it step on a LOT of toes around here if someone buys something only to sell it to someone else? People brag about that around here all the time, especially recently. Or is because she stated that she intends to sell it and that compromises being a private buyer somehow?

Honestly curious, as I don't buy stuff to flip it.

ATF's Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide has it on page 165. Doesn't really address buying them to flip. Maybe that falls more under some regulation about selling firearms. Reading this about Straw Purchases, that is not what she was doing.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Seems to me a straw purchase is when someone gives you money to buy FOR them, regardless if they could have legally purchased it. When I sold cars many years ago in Georgia, you could not do this either. You can, however; buy a car with the intention of flipping it. But there's even a limit on how many of those you can do before you're considered a "dealer".

1911GI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you did the right thing. she could have been an ATF agent.

Might have been ATFE too.
Good to hear you GS is OK. I would hate to go in and end up with the FBI or ATFE checking out my HQ don't need PD trying to put me in the BH even if I do get ROA.

PS did the glasses have the mustache nose and eyebrows?

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked gun shows for years. It was common knowledge that the ATF brought in agents from all over to try to trip dealers up. One show I had a guy offer my $75.00 dollars over stated price if I would sell it to him "off the books". After a "no way Jose", he wandered off and tried another dealer. Later, one of the other dealers told me he was an ATF ringer brought in from Colorado to try to trap dealers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom