Gunbusters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was told in my class that its just like tresspassing. he said its better to take the gamble than try and un-arm yourself (motorcycle) in the parking lot and risk someone seeing it and get a brandishing ticket or worse

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By the way "those pretty little dumb signs" are also used on our courthouse doors (statutory off-limits), so I would be a little slow deciding what they always mean and deciding to ignore them.

There are NO specified sign standards in OK law. If you understand it, it is legal notice.

TouchMySS

Marksman
Reaction score
I've had this argument many times with a friend of mine. Particularly over the legality of hospitals. I've also discussed this with the company lawyer, who claims to have taught at H&H for a bit.
As far as I'm concerned, the only time I'm taking that weapon off of my body is if it's defined explicitly in the Oklahoma Self Defense Act (government, school, sales are predominately alcohol, sporting events, etc.) or if I plan to be under the influence of a mind altering substance, including alcohol. I've made a self definition, based off of what is defined in the law and my own judgment, of what businesses I feel that I should not go into. A hospital can be private, community donation, or government, and thus too much headache. If my mom is inside dying, there's no way in hell I'm going to remove my gun before I rush in.
I feel comfortable that most people, even ones that are looking, will not see me slip up with my gun on me. I was concerned with printing at first, but then I realized that most people can't even tell you what street they are on.
If I get accused of trespassing, so be it. I'll quietly leave. If I get my license removed, I'll file the proper appeal. I carry a gun, and if I ever need it, I'll be ready to fight with it. You can bet your bottom dollar that I'll fight to keep that right too.

TL;DR: Carry where you feel comfortable. If you're afraid of losing your license due to some red tape and gray-areas in the law, that's your call.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
By the way "those pretty little dumb signs" are also used on our courthouse doors (statutory off-limits), so I would be a little slow deciding what they always mean and deciding to ignore them.

There are NO specified sign standards in OK law. If you understand it, it is legal notice.

Well of course you don't carry in statuatorily forbidden areas,that's not what we were talking about.Like I said earlier,think what you want,leave it in your car,leave it at home,I don't care,I will continue to carry in Mazzios,the hospital,or where ever it's not specifically statutorialy prohibited like I have for the last 20+ years. Steve

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well of course you don't carry in statuatorily forbidden areas,that's not what we were talking about. Steve

The signs have no power of law.This has been discussed many times

You may have intended your remarks to only be about private use of the signs, but that's not what you said.

I believe that blanket statements (like the one above) to ignore signs is borderline irresponsible when so many people read this forum. If you go back and read this or any of the other heated threads asserting 2nd amend rights over 4th amend rights, you will see no caution that the "value" of a sign depends on where it is posted--like on a courthouse.
That would seem to be the FIRST thing a new carrier shoudl be told.

I have no heartburn with individuals making informed choices about when and where they carry, and I'm not going to tell you my personal policy.

I do notice that many people coming into carry classes have gotten the idea off the internet that NO sign ever has any meaning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom