Guns at work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title 40: 200: Search of employee vehicles:

Employers of this state that conduct employee-owned vehicle searches of its employees shall conduct such search on the property of the employer only. Searches that are conducted on property not owned or rented by the employer shall require a search warrant issued according to law.

So, in Oklahoma, employers can search your vehicle if they have a valid reason to do so. I would assume if they have the right to do this, then they can search your backpack, purse, tool chest, etc, as long as its on property owned by the employer.

Just to be clear, that text doesn’t grant an employer a “right” to search your vehicle or grant them some sort of authority. They can have a policy that’s a condition of employment, and you can refuse it at risk of being terminated. What the text is telling them is that they have no right to do it off of their property.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just to be clear, that text doesn’t grant an employer a “right” to search your vehicle or grant them some sort of authority. They can have a policy that’s a condition of employment, and you can refuse it at risk of being terminated. What the text is telling them is that they have no right to do it off of their property.

I understand that, I'm just clarifying that if its a policy in the employee handbook then they can request it. You are not protected by privacy rights. Refusal of the search can lead to your termination and you would have no legal backing to sue for wrongful termination (though that probably wouldn't stop someone from trying). What I'm trying to refute is that its your "right" to refuse a search of your property. This is incorrect. A right is protected by law. However, you can refuse the search but do so with the knowledge it can cost you your job. That is the point I'm trying to make.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure legally on this @kwaynem But you know how your boss feels about it. For me the question to myself would be, can I handle the consequences if my boss finds out I'm carrying. Usually I live by it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. You already asked permission and were denied so it'd be tough to argue if ya get caught. Even IF you may have a legal right some how, I bet your employment would be terminated somehow. Right or wrong I don't know.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure legally on this @kwaynem But you know how your boss feels about it. For me the question to myself would be, can I handle the consequences if my boss finds out I'm carrying. Usually I live by it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. You already asked permission and were denied so it'd be tough to argue if ya get caught. Even IF you may have a legal right some how, I bet your employment would be terminated somehow. Right or wrong I don't know.
Yeah I’m not going to I been with the company for ten years now I just hate feeling like a sitting duck a lot of things have changed over the years use to people would get pissed off and argue it out or even duke it out down the road but not usually anymore

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get fired, then win a wrongful termination suit.

Theoretically get fired, perhaps.

But I highly doubt any employer these days would challenge precedent and state law in the first place. Nor do I believe searches would be requested by any reasonably and logically thinking employer in the first place either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom