Guns at work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get fired, then win a wrongful termination suit.

Wait a second... correct if I am wrong here, but according to the letter of the law, wasn't it actually deemed a CRIMINAL act to prevent employees from having a firearm in their lawfully-parked vehicle? I don't know, something about the way that statute read made me think that at the time. Could it really be a misdemeanor or felony, @Dave70968 ? I mean, I could be a total dipsh|t here, we all know that, but something is jogging my memory about this discussion from the past...

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As to costs, 21 O.S. 1289.7a:

A. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall maintain, establish, or enforce any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms or ammunition in a locked motor vehicle, or from transporting and storing firearms or ammunition locked in or locked to a motor vehicle on any property set aside for any motor vehicle.

B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be liable in any civil action for occurrences which result from the storing of firearms or ammunition in a locked motor vehicle on any property set aside for any motor vehicle, unless the person, property owner, tenant, employer, or owner of the business entity commits a criminal act involving the use of the firearms or ammunition. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to claims pursuant to the Workers’ Compensation Act.

C. An individual may bring a civil action to enforce this section. If a plaintiff prevails in a civil action related to the personnel manual against a person, property owner, tenant, employer or business for a violation of this section, the court shall award actual damages, enjoin further violations of this section, and award court costs and attorney fees to the prevailing plaintiff.

D. As used in this section, "motor vehicle" means any automobile, truck, minivan, sports utility vehicle, motorcycle, motor scooter, and any other vehicle required to be registered under the Oklahoma Vehicle License and Registration Act.​

Boldface mine. The award of attorney's fees isn't even discretionary--it's mandatory.

As to odds of collecting, you might be surprised. Very few businesses are judgment-proof (and most have insurance)

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Oklahoma an employer could fire you for anything. Its a right to work state. Unless you can prove your civil rights were violated (you were fired due to race, religion, sex, sexuality or gender identity) you pretty much have no case.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Oklahoma an employer could fire you for anything. Its a right to work state. Unless you can prove your civil rights were violated (you were fired due to race, religion, sex, sexuality or gender identity) you pretty much have no case.

Discrimination and attempting to organize a union used to be protected as well. Don’t know about current law regarding Unions.
You can’t fire someone for being a redhead and allow other redheads to remain employed. Discrimination.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In this instance, there's a statute directly on point protecting gun ownership and carriage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom