Had spinal surgery last week, anybody else had it done?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the feeling! I sit around all day long, can't wait till somebody gets home! Then they go to bed, and I stay up watching tv all night because I can't sleep. I had to eat shakes and soup for the first 5-7 days. I just started eating real food yesterday. My wife went xmas shopping, so I"m bored at home again.

So, do you remember how long your recovery was? I took pain meds up until yesterday, and its not really hurting anymore, so I stopped taking them yesterday. I feel like I could go out of the house and walk around, but kind of afraid to.

What made you decide to have surgery done?

It seems like the pain only lasted for a few days, but the recovery took about a month to six weeks. I had the surgery due to severe pain in my right arm, never had any pain in my neck...until after the surgery.

stepper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, thats about right for me too. I took pain meds for the first 5 days, and stopped. I've never had pain in my neck before surgery either. Just numb arms and bad headaches. I"m afraid after having surgery, my neck will never be the same. The Dr. told me that I had to have surgery, there was no other way of fixing the problem.

This morning, I get up, start walking, and step on the dog's tail. I jerked back, and of course jerked my neck, and now my neck is just killing me. Hope I didn't mess it up!

It seems like the pain only lasted for a few days, but the recovery took about a month to six weeks. I had the surgery due to severe pain in my right arm, never had any pain in my neck...until after the surgery.

stepper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, you've got me beat! :)

HOpe you're ok!

I've had four disc's in my neck fused due to being injured by a car bomb attack in Iraq. Three surgeries, two plates in the front with eight screws, several inch's of wire an 12 pins in the back. I only have 30 degree's movement left and right of center, and 15 degree's up and down. C4 through C7 are now one solid bone, and I'll have to have another surgery later on to fuse C7 to T1.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, thats about right for me too. I took pain meds for the first 5 days, and stopped. I've never had pain in my neck before surgery either. Just numb arms and bad headaches. I"m afraid after having surgery, my neck will never be the same. The Dr. told me that I had to have surgery, there was no other way of fixing the problem.

This morning, I get up, start walking, and step on the dog's tail. I jerked back, and of course jerked my neck, and now my neck is just killing me. Hope I didn't mess it up!

The one thing I learned from the surgery is that I don't like pain meds enough to get addicted but the muscle relaxers are a wonderful medication.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had 2 major spinal surgeries and several minor procedures with one more major surgery on the horizon. They sucked...although they were all lumbar so I can imagine cervical surgery afterhell has its own special quirks. I'm dreading my final (hopefully) surgery..I've put it off for almost as long as I can. I feel for you, heal quick!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
OK, you've got me beat! :)

HOpe you're ok!

Still in pain almost daily. Not as bad as before the surgeries, but there are days that I do have to take my pain meds, and go to la-la land. I also have to wear a brace while driving, doc already said that with out the brace an airbag is surely lethal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom