Ham Radio Guys - Help Me Out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, the Tech test shouldn't take you more than a few weeks of preparation. I used the Icom page at hamstudy.org and did the flash cards until my proficiency was up, then started taking practice tests. Once you can pass a few practice tests in a row, then schedule the real deal. Seriously. Do it.

I think it's possible to start today getting ready for the Tech-level test and be ready to test either Friday evening or Saturday afternoon at Green Country. I'd suggest upping the intensity to really learn the material comfortably. I recently passed the Extra test using Ham Test Online (http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/index.html) and they say a good student can be ready for the Tech in 10 hours. Their process adapts to your weak areas to ensure you understand concepts and the way they will be tested.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK - the hand-helds are I-Com units, one IC-V80 and one IC-V82. Both are new in the box. And yes, I also would like something just in case the S does HTF. Just a little something to scratch that part of my prepper itch. Base station or mobile is fine - whatever works, and is best for the purpose.

Both are great single-band radios and might get $30-$50 if sold at a table at the hamfest. It might be less because most everybody is going dual-band, V/UHF, on every radio except the one technology mentioned by Raptor62, DMR. Those are exclusively single-band right now and the DMR repeaters around here are UHF. Those two ICOM radios are good for conversion to being part of an APRS set-up.

Too many acronyms?? Study up, pass the test next weekend, join up with a local club, and dive in to learn more. Most of us love to teach newbies, some even loan gear or help with installs. This way you won't be "the guy on the outside." Which club you ask? All of them have people who teach and help and are ready with answers to questions. Closest to Oologah is the Rogers County Wireless Association - www.rcwa.org. They'll have a table at the hamfest where you can talk to them. At other tables you'll find the Tulsa Amateur Radio Club (sponsors the wide-area repeater system) and the Tulsa Repeater Organization (sponsors the 146.88 wide-area 2-meter repeater.)

Tripper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ham radio exam, by Roy Watson
Is a free iPhone app you can use, it contains the complete question pool and has section quizzes. I walk between buildings a lot at work and that app was very convenient for me to use on short walks. Go through that or any other option then find a hamcram session, those are simply sessions where they print out the question pool and you go through it highlighting the correct answer, they have it divided into maybe 6 sections and you do it in 45 minute sessions, for like 6 hours, then take the test at the end, it has like a 95% pass rate as a result of short time memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry I missed this thread earlier. This evening, Friday March 31st is the Mayes County Amateur Radio Club monthly meeting at the Pizza Hut in Pryor. Official meeting is at 7PM, but most of us get there about 6 for pizza and to shoot the bull, then stay an hour or so afterward. We will have 25-30 members and invite all guests that may have an interest in ham radio to come by and join us. We have a wealth of knowledge and opinions we are happy to share. Yes, most of us purchased a radio before we got a license to listen on, you just want to make sure you get the right type of radio that might fit your needs for after you get your first license.

I agree there are many free study programs out there, but the long term tried and true one is (http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/index.html) $25, it not only teaches you to pass the test, it makes you learn why each answer is correct. It is all the books you can buy, all the theory you need to learn, and it adapts to your weak and strong areas to speed up the process in one package. My partially blond wife passed her Tech license studying an hour or so 5 nights a week for two weeks. You can try his site for free, I highly recommend looking at it.

If you can make our meeting this evening, come into the meeting room and ask for Ken WB5Y, I am the guy chewing on a cigar unless I am stuffing my face with pizza.

Our MCARC club page is at http://www.qsl.net/mcarc and has the most up to date net list for NE Oklahoma posted anywhere.

Feel free to PM me about Ham Radio anytime.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom