Handgun hunting for deer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way we usually hunt there are two of us in a big fiberglass box blind 15 feet up. So the other guy will have a rifle. If I was going to be by myself I would probably carry a rifle. Hunting wheat fields. So it would not be good to have a monster buck show up at about 200 yards and only the hand cannon.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what is a good load to use in 45 acp to shoot deer/hogs with? and leathal distance (25yds?)

I used hand loaded 185 grain
+P HP to kill my does. First one fell in her tracks, the other made 25 yds.
If your a reloader, and need load data I can get it for you, other wise factory HP's will work well too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a couple of pms about using the 1911 for deer, and was it legal.

The answer is Yes and no. Its another of our regulations that wasn't very well thought out.
The parts in the bold red font, is the reason.
Center fire handguns generally encompass both revolver and semi-auto handguns. In the past, only revolvers were legal for deer hunting, and thats how it was always written. Instead of rewriting the reg, they added the paragraph about the semi-auto's. According to the first paragraph, on center fire handguns, the .45ACP is not legal to use because its overall case LENGTH, is less than 1 1/4". This rules out any revolver shooting .45ACP

About 6-7 years ago, the regulation was changed to specifically address semi-auto handguns, making them legal for deer hunting.
Again the bolded part in red, for semi-auto handguns now specifies case SIZE, not length. Making the .45ACP legal for deer in semi-auto handguns.
The legislature just needs to address this and clean up the language so it won't be confusing.

•Centerfire handguns: Chambered for .24 caliber or larger and 100 grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer are legal (.357 or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four inches.
•Semi-automatic handguns: Chambered for any centerfire ammunition with a 100-grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet and having a cartridge case size of .40 caliber or larger (includes 10 mm, .357 Sig., and 40 cal. or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four inches.
•Handguns chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition: Chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition using at least a 55-grain soft-nosed bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer and a minimum barrel length of four inches.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot a little buck a few years ago with the 686. I'm going to try with my .40 STI 2011 this year and see if I can get one close enough. Should be a hoot!

Latest posts

Top Bottom