Handgun hunting for deer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been a handgun hunter for over 30 years and my favorite hunting revolver is a Ruger Super Blackhawk...

When hunting with a handgun, I do NOT take a rifle with me as it is kinda pointless...

With a properly tuned revolver in 44 magnum, like the one shown below, out to 125 yds., you don't give up anything to a rifle...

These handguns will keep all six shots inside a 3" circle at 125 yds. on a bad day and do it very consistently...
i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_032_2.jpg

With the Ruger in 454 Casull, it's 200 yd. accuracy and punch will stand the biggest white-tail deer on it's ear and not think twice about it...
i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_4543.jpg

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_4541.jpg

DAVID

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been a handgun hunter for over 30 years and my favorite hunting revolver is a Ruger Super Blackhawk...

When hunting with a handgun, I do NOT take a rifle with me as I think it is kinda pointless...

With a properly tuned revolver in 44 magnum, like the one shown below, out to 125 yds., you don't give up anything to a rifle...

These handguns will keep all six shots inside a 3" circle at 125 yds. on a bad day and do it very consistently...
i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_032_2.jpg

With the Ruger in 454 Casull, it's 200 yd. accuracy and punch will stand the biggest white-tail deer on it's ear and not think twice about it...
i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_4543.jpg

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_4541.jpg

DAVID

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a pistol usually. Generally a rifle also unless I will be sitting directly with someone (new hunter generally).

Carry a 8" 45lc Contender, 1911, or this year will be my newly acquired Smith M57 .41 mag with a 4". Started carrying one for close shots but since then never seem to get one

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahomabassin and okhunter -

We have shot identical loads in both revolvers, braked and unbraked and the decibel reading was 10-15 points LESS with the muzzle brakes than without. In a rifle though, they are LOUD but, in a revolver, there is no perceived "noise" difference...

Either way though, hearing protection is still a must....

DAVID

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
D&T, I do miss my Casull from time to time. Shot lot's of paper and steel with it, but never hunted with it. Did you experiment with different barrel lengths or go with what came standard on the Ruger? I'm thinking it may be time to find another Casull and maybe make a trip to Vinita for some alterations:) I've still got my dies, bullets and over 100 pieces of brass.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
D&T
What kind of scopes are those? What would you recommend for a handgun scope? Btw those are some nice revolvers.

Thank you WillR...

Those scopes are Bushnell Trophy 2X-6X-32mm. These are the only scopes I use and the only scope that I will mount on a hunting revolver that I build...

I have used Leupold, Burris, Nikon and others but, day in and day out, I find that these Bushnell Trophy handgun scopes are some of the best out there....

DAVID

Latest posts

Top Bottom