Handloading On A Shoestring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not for everyone.

I have several of them.
Way back in the day when I first started reloading I used one of these for my 7.7.

As an added bonus they are lot more portable than a single stage.

You can actually get pretty quick with them, I'd bet someone who uses them
regularly can crank out a box in less time than a single stage setup.

My brother only reloads for his 45-70.
He uses maybe a box on a good month.
He lives in a small apartment.

As a side note they produces some of the highest quality rounds out there.

As with everything else spend your money how it suits you best.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
one of the most important part of article is how to load powder into scoop.
NEVER scoop powder, press bottom of scoop into powder, then allow powder to drop in gently.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
one of the most important part of article is how to load powder into scoop.
NEVER scoop powder, press bottom of scoop into powder, then allow powder to drop in gently.

I was curious about that...how come? I know zip about reloading.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started reloading with a Lee Loader in .243 many years ago. If I'm developing a load for a specific rifle, I still use it. A once fired case reloaded on a Lee Loader is now a custom case for the rifle it was fired in. I've gotten 3/4 inch groups with my Browning BAR using cartridges loaded with my Lee.

BKtul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pulp
I load on a Lee Turret and am getting into .243 using 100gr btsp bullets and Varget and IMR 4350 powder. Could you share some tight group recipes? I'm shooting them in a Ruger M77 and a Savage 110. The Savage has a shorter chamber than the Ruger does so I'm keeping them seperate as they are fireformed very differently.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've just gotten into using Varget, so far results have not been impressive. Not bad, but not impressive. I fired three 5 shot groups with 1. 35 grains, 2 35.5 grains and 36 grains of Varget under an 87 grain Hornady Saturday, through my Browning. It absolutely will not shoot a boattail bullet worth a flip, so I've gone back to the flat base Hornady for it.

Load one had three shots inside 3/4 inch, with two flyers that brought the total group out to about 2.5 inches. Load two had three inside 1/2 inch, but again with two flyers. I was shooting into a setting sun, and that may explain the flyers. For the third load, the sun went behind a cloud and I ended up with a 1.25 inch five shot group.

About three inches is the best I've ever done with any boattail bullet through the Browning, and that's three shot groups. I also have a Remington 660 that will shoot 3/4 inch groups with about any bullet I put through it.

I also like H380 and H414 for the .243 with bullets below 90 grains.

I'm gonna lawyer up now and just say, start with the minimum load and work your way up 'till you find what shoots best, then start playing with seating depth.

I would suggest trying neck sizing only for each gun, then you'll have custom brass for each gun.

I reckon Savages must have really tight chambers. Stuff that will easily chamber in my Remington will not come close to chambering in my son's Savage Axis.

Latest posts

Top Bottom