HATS....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seldom wear a hat, but that has nothing to do with this. Early this week, I entered Ace Hardware behind an Air Force major, in uniform. As he entered, he removed his cap, and just by chance, he was in the check-out line a couple of folks ahead of me. And naturally, as he exited the building, he replaced is cover.

Being an unrepentant people watcher, I looked around the restaurants we visited during the week, and the induction ceremony for the National Honor Society at Westmoore HS.

When did it become common to keep the hat on?

Boy, my grandmother would not let us in the house wearing a hat, much less sit at the dinner table.

And I believe that uncovering when entering was one of the first commandments in basic training of every branch.

Anyone else seeing this?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seldom wear a hat, but that has nothing to do with this. Early this week, I entered Ace Hardware behind an Air Force major, in uniform. As he entered, he removed his cap, and just by chance, he was in the check-out line a couple of folks ahead of me. And naturally, as he exited the building, he replaced is cover.

Being an unrepentant people watcher, I looked around the restaurants we visited during the week, and the induction ceremony for the National Honor Society at Westmoore HS.

When did it become common to keep the hat on?

Boy, my grandmother would not let us in the house wearing a hat, much less sit at the dinner table.

And I believe that uncovering when entering was one of the first commandments in basic training of every branch.

Anyone else seeing this?
I don't understand... as he entered the building he removed it, and as he exited the building he put it back on? Isn't that what your grandma and basic training required? What am I missing here?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, I thought you were questioning the Air Force Major. Yeah, kids today are hardly taught even the most basic manners, let alone what to wear on your head and when. Seems like it's been that way for a while. Plus, probably a much lower percentage of the population goes through the military as did through the 60's.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
don't know about other service branches, but USMC removes cover indoors unless they are armed. armed includes a cartridge belt, that's why honor guards are covered, the white belt is a cartridge belt.

You're right, I had forgotten about that situation. Maybe all these goobers are armed!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not bald, I just don't like putting stuff in my hair to keep from looking like a homeless person. When I was getting paid the big bucks, I did what I needed to look professional, but once I retired, I started wearing ball caps, and I've just stayed with that habit (although I do make a concession and shave every other day during the week).

If that offends someone, well, that's their problem, not mine.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't wear hats but I have seen a lot of guys wearing them inside.

It has never bothered me but I wasn't in the military. The Marines were recruiting me heavily until I had to have knee surgery.

Latest posts

Top Bottom