There's still hope for the younger generation...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBSATS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have always been, to each their own. Removing your hat indoors was a tradition honored by most in times past. It was a sign respect, courtesy and gratitude done by most men for the lady, or staff of most homes and public establishments such as restaurants. Other places included town halls, churches, court houses etc. as a courtesy acknowledging the authority of the establishment. As well a rule or law in the military.
Over time it has lost its meaning and purpose for many younger generations, and no longer retains its value, need or adherence. Which is fine in my mind as things and traditions come and go, and in some cases return.. Such as the wearing of ear rings by men has come and gone many times over the centuries.
I do not want expect, ask nor demand that anyone else does what I do or don't do. But what really irritates me is the baligerent, demeaning, disrespectful and totally unnecessary manner in which many of our younger people respond to even the thought that someone might ask or require something that they reject in their self entitled attitudes.
However, from my personal experience with many of these younger fokes. I have found that, "they" are generally the ones who demand respect from everyone else, regardless if its been earned or not. Please bare in mind that I am only speaking about some... but you can certainly tell the difference between those who have earned respect and those who just demand it and are insulted when you call them out on it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
As an aside, I know since 2008, former military in civilian attire, may salute the flag instead of hat off hand over heart.

They made no mention of hat on or off when saluting in civies. In the military, it is hats on when saluting outdoors, off when indoors unless in military formation.

So which is it fellas? Hats on or off being ex military saluting the flag or upon hearing TAPS?

SBSATS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As an aside, I know since 2008, former military in civilian attire, may salute the flag instead of hat off hand over heart.

They made no mention of hat on or off when saluting in civies. In the military, it is hats on when saluting outdoors, off when indoors unless in military formation.

So which is it fellas? Hats on or off being ex military saluting the flag or upon hearing TAPS?
As a civilian, I always take my hat off and use it to cover my heart. Right or wrong, I don't know. Just how I do it, inside or out.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mrs. GED and I were having breakfast in Shawnee this morning. One of my biggest pet peeves is men leaving their hats on at the table. :pissed:

The practice of removing your hat whenever indoors and especially at the table was drilled into my skull at an early age. It angers me to enter a restaurant and see my elders wearing their hats while dining.

But this morning, my heart swelled when across the way, I saw a young man, about 12-14 years old, walk in with his parents. As they sat down, he immediately removed the cap from his head and placed it on the seat next to him.

As we finished and were walking out, I stopped at their table and commended the man and woman on raising such an outstanding young man, and told the lad atta-boy! :thumb:
I agree, acts like this, are a outward show of respect for our customs, and way of life! The act it's self is not important! Having customs, and maners, is what seperates us from animals, and without them, quess what we become?

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is hilarious! You state in your original post that you are all for decorum, and manners even going out of your way to compliment the boy and his parents yet resort to cussing like a sailor on shore leave when someone offers up a different opinion. In a thread you created for discussion which by definition is asking for a difference of opinion.

I'm confused.

Wasn’t looking for a conversation. Virtue signaling looking for confirmation.

Meh. Happens a lot. No longer bothers me. Can’t do anything about it anyway and nobody I know has ever had their mind changed here.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! Lots of mixed emotions on this topic. Ya know, all I was saying when I started this thread, is that I was proud of a young man who took his cap off at the table. I realize that this is a lost art, same as opening doors for ladies and standing up whenever you shake hands with someone.

The handshake conversation is a COMPLETELY other animal that I could rant on about as well, but we'll talk about it another day.

Looks guys (and gals :heart:) I'm just one guy, with one opinion. My thoughts and a couple of bucks won't get you much more than a cup of coffee. I was just taught what I was taught and I don't expect the younger generation to understand it at all.

But I know in my heart that those fellers older than me WERE taught respect for people and property, and always, always, always removed their hats at the table. I just don't know why or when they stopped respecting what their elders taught them.

Oh well, I'll shut up now and stop thinking out loud and keep my foolish comments to myself.

finishnailer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! Lots of mixed emotions on this topic. Ya know, all I was saying when I started this thread, is that I was proud of a young man who took his cap off at the table. I realize that this is a lost art, same as opening doors for ladies and standing up whenever you shake hands with someone.

The handshake conversation is a COMPLETELY other animal that I could rant on about as well, but we'll talk about it another day.

Looks guys (and gals :heart:) I'm just one guy, with one opinion. My thoughts and a couple of bucks won't get you much more than a cup of coffee. I was just taught what I was taught and I don't expect the younger generation to understand it at all.

But I know in my heart that those fellers older than me WERE taught respect for people and property, and always, always, always removed their hats at the table. I just don't know why or when they stopped respecting what their elders taught them.

Oh well, I'll shut up now and stop thinking out loud and keep my foolish comments to myself.
I appreciated your original post, took no offense and was kind of amazed at the folks who got upset. Our society definitely lacks decorum these days

Latest posts

Top Bottom