There's still hope for the younger generation...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is hilarious! You state in your original post that you are all for decorum, and manners even going out of your way to compliment the boy and his parents yet resort to cussing like a sailor on shore leave when someone offers up a different opinion. In a thread you created for discussion which by definition is asking for a difference of opinion.

I'm confused.
Agreed. God cares just as much about what comes out of your mouth as what goes in it.

right-a-wine-bottle-holder-332212.jpg

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never understood how on earth it is disrespectful of me to show anyone whether I shaved my head today or not.

Leaving my hat on or taking it off, especially in a public place, shouldn't effect the level of respect I receive, nor does it change the level I am giving.

Now, if I come to your house and you have an arbitrary household rule that no hats are to be worn inside or at the dinner table and I defy that rule then that shows a lack of respect in my opinion.

I have a friend who has a no shoes in the house rule. I know this and because I respect him and his wishes, I take my shoes off when I enter, even though I hate to go walking around without shoes on. THAT is showing respect.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the Coast Guard you took your hat off when entering a building and that habit is still drilled into me. Heck I take it off when entering a Walmart. :P
At the O Club bar at Fort Sill, there is a sign on the inside above the entry door, "He who wears his hat in here, buys the bar a round of cheer." Violators are quickly dispatched and their money removed from their wallet.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the O Club bar at Fort Sill, there is a sign on the inside above the entry door, "He who wears his hat in here, buys the bar a round of cheer." Violators are quickly dispatched and their money removed from their wallet.
Had the same sign in the Enlisted club at Barber's Point back in the 70s.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Well Emily Post's Etiquette says:

Hats Off! Hat Etiquette for Everyone
Hats aren't the essential article of clothing they once were but are still worn by both sexes for fashion and for function. Knowing when to remove a hat is as important as wearing the right hat for the occasion.

If you were a medieval knight who failed to remove his helmet or lift his visor and identify himself the consequences could be fatal. Throughout history hats identified social standing and removing a hat was a gesture of respect.

In the "old days," men took off their hats in Christian churches, when they entered someone's home, when greeting a boss, and always in the presence of a lady. Ladies were entirely exempt from "hat rules," wearing them whenever and where ever they wished.

While some of these customs are now historical footnotes, even in today's casual culture, men and women still remove their hats as a sign of respect. Cancer patients are exempt from hat rules. They may keep their hats or caps on at all times if they wish.

Here's when it’s fine to wear your hat and when it’s not:

Men's Hat Etiquette
Hats can be left on…
Outdoors
At athletic events (indoors or out)
On public transportation
In public buildings such as post offices, airports, and hotel or office lobbies
On elevators
Take hats off, including baseball caps …
In someone's home
At mealtimes, at the table
While being introduced, indoors or out (unless it's frigid!)
In a house of worship, unless a hat or head covering is required
Indoors at work, especially in an office (unless required for the job)
In public buildings such as a school, library, courthouse, or town hall
In restaurants and coffee shops
At a movie or any indoor performance
When the national anthem is played
When the flag of the United States passes by, as in a parade

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers in this thread and I certainly don't get on my soapbox everytime I go to a restaurant and see men wearing their hats at the table. It just saddens me that the majority of those men were more than likely (as was I) to remove them at various points of their lives, especially at the table.

I just find it incredible that a young man today, in this crazy effed up world, was still taught that old, and obviously, obsolete sign of respect of removing his hat at the table. I was taught that practice at a very young age (son of a sailor) and it just impressed me.

Sometimes I guess I just think out loud too much and need to keep my mouth shut and my fingers off the keyboard.

Kudos to those gentlemen out there who still practice this ancient (and forgotten) ritual. And to those that don't...well...it is the world we live in. Nobody respects anything any more because people have no respect for themselves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom