There's still hope for the younger generation...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesBell

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i am so torn on hats at the table or anywhere else. When I left the Marines I said I was never playing the “take your cover off” game again. One too many Sergeants Major screaming at young Marines to take caps off in the 7 day store (convenience store) ruined me. And the fact I left several civilian caps in restaurant booths over the years didn’t hurt my feelings. But to actually sit at the table with a hat on your head just isn’t right. If I were wearing a cowboy hat there’s no way I’d leave it on so arguing with myself about a ball cap is pretty silly.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t get it… who am I disrespecting by wearing a hat indoors? Never had anyone say a word about it before besides at church.
It's from a time when wearing a hat meant you weren't comfortable in your surroundings, you weren't feeling "at home", and were submitting to your host. Keeping your hat on was disrespect to your hosts (the proprietor, the homeowner, etc). We still remove our lids when we walk into buildings and I've chewed many a butt for forgetting, but baseball caps and cowboy hats? Nah. It doesn't bother me at all unless you're in church.

At church you're lucky you get to be there to learn about the creator of the entire universe. Act like it.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm old and grouchy, but hats at the table don't really bother me. At church the other day though, they had a prayer and some of the ladies wearing baseball caps didn't remove them. Now that bothers me. Every man removed theirs, myself included.
Pretty sure all us old farts grew up with ladies being required to cover their heads in church. At least if you attended a Catholic Church, anyway. Dad & Step-mom were Catholic. Step-mom still is, AFAIK. Dad's a Democrat now. Passed away in 2014.

Latest posts

Top Bottom