Help ease my mind.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So are you uncomfortable, or incompetent? ;)

Not to pick on you, but just illustrating the subtle symantic difference between the two. The concepts are related but are unique.

Apparently she is not competent with the platform (or some aspect of it) or she wouldn't be uncomfortable.

If you possess sufficient skill and knowledge, what are you uncomfortable about?

If you are uncomfortable with a piece of equipment that you have complete competence with, either the equipment is poorly designed (not the case with the 1911) or you are irrational.

My guess is that lack of competence with a platform is more likely.

If it is a question of PREFERENCE, then that is a totally different issue; I prefer a striker-fired pistol to a cocked and locked design but I am not uncomfortable with either.

Competence is the reason I am not uncomfortable.

Either way, your concern seems to be much more one of an individual not liking to be thought of as "incompetent" when it comes to things like guns. I personally do not have this hang-up although I understand that some do. I am incompetent at a number of things so I don't worry about it unless I need that skill in which case I simply go about acquiring the skill rather than concerning myself with how I am perceived.

Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes. I know this one. :-)

Are there any stats on this question?

B

There are no reliable statistics on the issue.

This is really a question of preference and competence.

Get what you prefer and then learn to use it well.

There's really no other option to getting comfortable with any platform.

Michael Brown

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently she is not competent with the platform (or some aspect of it) or she wouldn't be uncomfortable.

If you possess sufficient skill and knowledge, what are you uncomfortable about?

If you are uncomfortable with a piece of equipment that you have complete competence with, either the equipment is poorly designed (not the case with the 1911) or you are irrational.

My guess is that lack of competence with a platform is more likely.

If it is a question of PREFERENCE, then that is a totally different issue; I prefer a striker-fired pistol to a cocked and locked design but I am not uncomfortable with either.

Competence is the reason I am not uncomfortable.

Michael Brown

Yep. I do not care at all for the trigger pull of the few cocked and locked weapons I have fired. So my issue is combination of preference and lack of competence with that particular platform.

Every shooter I ever observed in SDA classes who was uncomfortable with their weapon (and there were a TON of them) exhibited a profound lack of understanding of how their weapon functioned.

Technical understanding helps, but the only real cure for being uncomfortable and incompetent (or any combination of the two) is practice.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. I do not care at all for the trigger pull of the few cocked and locked weapons I have fired. So my issue is combination of preference and lack of competence with that particular platform.

Every shooter I ever observed in SDA classes who was uncomfortable with their weapon (and there were a TON of them) exhibited a profound lack of understanding of how their weapon functioned.

Technical understanding helps, but the only real cure for being uncomfortable and incompetent (or any combination of the two) is practice.

This is an example of why women make so much better students in firearms training than men; there is no hang-up regarding their competence or performance prior to training.

This is especially telling with someone like yourself who has worked at a range and had far more training than the average CCW holder.:yelclap:

Michael Brown

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is an example of why women make so much better students in firearms training than men; there is no hang-up regarding their competence or performance prior to training.

This is especially telling with someone like yourself who has worked at a range and had far more training than the average CCW holder.:yelclap:

Michael Brown

It is good to know what you don't know, ya know?? LOL

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your fear is irrational unless you are not competent. That is the way your gun is designed to be carried.

That said, I'm not sure the majority of gun owners would meet most instructors' definition of "competent".

If you're uncomfortable with a round in the chamber, you are likely not competent yet and you should get professional training ASAP.

Michael Brown

MB always has some of the best advice in these threads.

But the best rule is keep ur booger hook off the bang switch, the number 1 safety should be between ur ears.

A modern mechanically sound pistol will not go off on its own unless something pulls the trigger.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
competence = comfort, comfort without competence often results in a bad experience as that is usually a sign of ignorance, I like olyellers comment take a class any class.

FWIW in my wifes CCW class the instructor loaded a functioning pistol with a snap cap and proceeded to throw it on the ground to demonstrate that guns don't just go off on their own.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Michael Brown

I'll second and third that one Michael!!

Of all the students I have trained for CCW....The women were much easier to teach and did better in the classroom AND on the range. They pay attention, tey ask questions to understand rater than to try and prove they know mor than you. Then when you get on the range they take direction and make adjustments to stance, grip, sight picture etc. much better than my male students, many of whom are avid hunters/long gun enthusiasts.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW in my wifes CCW class the instructor loaded a functioning pistol with a snap cap and proceeded to throw it on the ground to demonstrate that guns don't just go off on their own.

Uhhhh......

I understad the concept, just not the execution. Not with one of mine!!! I typically teach on concrete floors!:angry3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom