Help identifying old passed down gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
You have a S&W Military & Police (Model of 1905) [pre-Model 10] revolver. Your gun, according to the serial number, is likely a 2nd change model made between 1906-08. It has the appropriate original hard rubber grips on the round butt. It's in "fair" condition due to the finish, and the lack of case hardening colors on the hammer and trigger, and if the bore is good. Approximate worth is about $200 to $300 dollars depending on the market.

These revolvers had the old S&W "short stroke" action that is fast and smooth as butter. Yes, the firing pin can be replaced with a hammer-mounted firing pin from an older Model 10.

Netminder1976

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have a S&W Military & Police (Model of 1905) [pre-Model 10] revolver. Your gun, according to the serial number, is likely a 2nd change model made between 1906-08. It has the appropriate original hard rubber grips on the round butt. It's in "fair" condition due to the finish, and the lack of case hardening colors on the hammer and trigger, and if the bore is good. Approximate worth is about $200 to $300 dollars depending on the market.

These revolvers had the old S&W "short stroke" action that is fast and smooth as butter. Yes, the firing pin can be replaced with a hammer-mounted firing pin from an older Model 10.

Netminder1976

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great. Thanks for all the info. Yes the finish on it is rather rough. I just wonder the conditions it was kept in before I received it. Pretty neat to hold an old gun like this now that I know how old it is. Just makes me wonder the travels it has seen. Nonetheless .. I will post it in some places and see if I can't get 150 or so out of it and put that towards a gun for carry. I appreciate your help and everyone on here. Nothing but class every time I post.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great. Thanks for all the info. Yes the finish on it is rather rough. I just wonder the conditions it was kept in before I received it. Pretty neat to hold an old gun like this now that I know how old it is. Just makes me wonder the travels it has seen. Nonetheless .. I will post it in some places and see if I can't get 150 or so out of it and put that towards a gun for carry. I appreciate your help and everyone on here. Nothing but class every time I post.
I have an old S&W that has been hard to identify. One thing I was told and found to be true in my case anyway was to remove the grips and look for a date penciled in. It was common for the person at the factory that was the final assembler to date it when they assembled it.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
One thing I was told and found to be true in my case anyway was to remove the grips and look for a date penciled in. It was common for the person at the factory that was the final assembler to date it when they assembled it.

I have seen that too. But it seems more common on the wooden grip scales than on the hard rubber. I could be that over the years of cleaning the pencil markings may have rubbed off the rubber panels. Who knows.

Also, as old as these warhorses are, may have had the grips replaced with period appropriate grips that were not original to the firearm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom