Here's a question about carrying past the signs... for those who do so.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So... what would you do if someone asked to search you?

I've wondered this a lot. Being on private property doesn't give anyone the right to search me. If they're not a law enforcement officer and actually working in that capacity, that is.

I've probably failed to notice a few gunbuster signs that are in poorly-thought-out locations, aren't very visible, or just don't apply (like a revolver sign?), etc. But I wondered what ya'll's thoughts were on how you'd handle such a situation.

Let's say you're at a theoretical movie theater with your family, and some employee, or even a security guard (aka regular employee with no law enforcement powers) sees you printing somehow - you bend over to tie your shoe, or you drop a napkin and lean down ot pick it up, etc., and they come and say, "Excuse me, sir, but are you carrying a firearm?" Answer, "I'm not answering that question," or just plain, "No." But obviously they won't believe you, they think you printed enough to raise their curiosity, so they ask you to raise your shirt. My answer is no, not a chance. So then they just ask you to leave, ok, I'll do so, can I have a refund on my movie ticket for myself and my family? Maybe a refund on the cost of the $50 worth of crap I just bought? Likely the answer to both is no.

Ok, so you refuse, they ask you to leave, no harm, no foul. But what about some overzealous Paul Blart type who thinks he knows the law (and doesn't) and says, "No, sir, you need to stay right here, I'm calling the police." Of course, I can ignore that and actually just walk away, but what if they're stupid enough to try to physically restrain you? I mean, we know at WalMart and such, they train their folks not to actually interfere (anymore), but it's something to think about. How would/will you handle a situation where someone thinks they know the law, and they want to do some kind of "citizen's arrest", etc. I see no reason to escalate the situation to a physical altercation, but I would say simply, "No, I'm leaving like you asked me to do," or "I'm not welcome here, I'll leave now," and see if they let you go. If they physically want to restrain me, then we can sort that out when the police arrive, but if they want to try to take me down, disarm me, etc., we're going to have some problems, and there're going to be legal consequences after the fact.

Anyways, those are some of my thoughts, I just wondered if anyone here has any other thoughts, or if anyone here has actually had something like this happen to them?

I won't submit to search by a private property owner just for patronizing their establishment, but we all know people who are not just wrong on the laws, but CONFIDENTLY wrong. Even LEOs, sometimes.

FreeSpiritBalloon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wasn’t there a case similar maybe in Florida where a civilian tried to disarm someone by trying to grab their firearm from behind without saying a word to them first IIRC? Now I have to try to find that story, it might have been at a WalMart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think if it was me, I'd probably leave when they asked me to, even if they wouldn't give me a refund.
It wouldn't be right IMO, but I'll skip the part where they call the cops. I don't want to get that deep into it.

I'm at peace with being a wuss sometimes.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But what about some overzealous Paul Blart type who thinks he knows the law (and doesn't) and says, "No, sir, you need to stay right here, I'm calling the police." Of course, I can ignore that and actually just walk away, but what if they're stupid enough to try to physically restrain you?
You could dial 911 and tell them you're being illegally detained while trying to leave. At least your side would be on record then.

Not a lawyer. Just a thought. :drunk2:

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So... what would you do if someone asked to search you?

I've wondered this a lot. Being on private property doesn't give anyone the right to search me. If they're not a law enforcement officer and actually working in that capacity, that is.

I've probably failed to notice a few gunbuster signs that are in poorly-thought-out locations, aren't very visible, or just don't apply (like a revolver sign?), etc. But I wondered what ya'll's thoughts were on how you'd handle such a situation.

Let's say you're at a theoretical movie theater with your family, and some employee, or even a security guard (aka regular employee with no law enforcement powers) sees you printing somehow - you bend over to tie your shoe, or you drop a napkin and lean down ot pick it up, etc., and they come and say, "Excuse me, sir, but are you carrying a firearm?" Answer, "I'm not answering that question," or just plain, "No." But obviously they won't believe you, they think you printed enough to raise their curiosity, so they ask you to raise your shirt. My answer is no, not a chance. So then they just ask you to leave, ok, I'll do so, can I have a refund on my movie ticket for myself and my family? Maybe a refund on the cost of the $50 worth of crap I just bought? Likely the answer to both is no.

Ok, so you refuse, they ask you to leave, no harm, no foul. But what about some overzealous Paul Blart type who thinks he knows the law (and doesn't) and says, "No, sir, you need to stay right here, I'm calling the police." Of course, I can ignore that and actually just walk away, but what if they're stupid enough to try to physically restrain you? I mean, we know at WalMart and such, they train their folks not to actually interfere (anymore), but it's something to think about. How would/will you handle a situation where someone thinks they know the law, and they want to do some kind of "citizen's arrest", etc. I see no reason to escalate the situation to a physical altercation, but I would say simply, "No, I'm leaving like you asked me to do," or "I'm not welcome here, I'll leave now," and see if they let you go. If they physically want to restrain me, then we can sort that out when the police arrive, but if they want to try to take me down, disarm me, etc., we're going to have some problems, and there're going to be legal consequences after the fact.

Anyways, those are some of my thoughts, I just wondered if anyone here has any other thoughts, or if anyone here has actually had something like this happen to them?

I won't submit to search by a private property owner just for patronizing their establishment, but we all know people who are not just wrong on the laws, but CONFIDENTLY wrong. Even LEOs, sometimes.

i agree on not submitting to a search, but why do you think you'd be entitled to a refund? I'm not defending their policy but it is their right to post signs. If you choose (either willingly or unwittingly) to ignore them then they have the right to remove you. They might do it to shut you up and move you along, though.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a bad question to be honest as there a lot of off duty LE that work security at Movie theatres. Seems it would be an interesting legal battle if they put their hands on you, do they have the right to detain you? I'll say this though, I'd bet there are policies in place for them NOT to put their hands on you in a majority of cases.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, no, I never said I wouldn't leave without a refund! That wasn't what I meant, at all!

I might ASK for one, but I'm not going to make that a requirement to leave the premises. I just know that we usually drop close to a C-note at the movies, so I'd like to try to recoup that if'n I could. If not, well, not something worth getting arrested over. Nor making a huge scene - again, I feel gun owners should definitely try to put forth a good and responsible image when possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom