Hmmmm.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no problem with anybody taking the lead to stop youth obesity.

Power to them.

Agreed but since school lunches are the best meal a whole lot of kids get, sometimes the only meal, it needs to be a good well balanced meal. The government should be pushing PE, etc more then cutting what they eat. Get them active, not starve them.

I agree with getting rid of vending machines full of junk food but not this and from what I can see, she has no room to talk.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed but since school lunches are the best meal a whole lot of kids get, sometimes the only meal, it needs to be a good well balanced meal. The government should be pushing PE, etc more then cutting what they eat. Get them active, not starve them.

I agree with getting rid of vending machines full of junk food but not this and from what I can see, she has no room to talk.

If a school lunch is the best meal the kids get for the day, we need to charge their parents with neglect, even before Michell.

I was dirt poor and a single dad when my kids were going through school, but I sent sack lunches with them. Unfortunately, at that time kids that brought sack lunches were made fun of by the other students, so I'm sure they got thrown away. Kids with sack lunches in that day, had to eat in a different room from the cool kids that ate in the lunchroom. White kids mind you.

So, they went through school hungry. Nothing I could do about that. When they were at home they got proper food, mostly from the garden.

Neither is overweight now.

Kids in my honest opinion will choose the thing that is tasty/trendy to them, and not what is healthy.

The photo has been around for awhile.

Obesity in kids is a major problem. I don't care who champions it, it needs to be done.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree about the parents but it is a fact of life in the US. Report just the other day about massive fraud in the foodstamps program and look up hunger in the US. The war on poverty has been a huge waste of many billions of dollars and there are millions of hungry kids in this country. Look at the pictures in the piece I linked, do those look filling or healthy to you?

Except now the schools are throwing away the sack lunches parents send because it does not meet government guidelines.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree about the parents but it is a fact of life in the US. Report just the other day about massive fraud in the foodstamps program and look up hunger in the US. The war on poverty has been a huge waste of many billions of dollars and there are millions of hungry kids in this country. Look at the pictures in the piece I linked, do those look filling or healthy to you?

Except now the schools are throwing away the sack lunches parents send because it does not meet government guidelines.

I can't donate veggi's to the local John 3:16 mission from my garden either. I can kind of understand it. Who knows that chemical were sprayed on them is why they don't accept them. Its a food issue, so I guess the 60 some I picked today, will go to the trash.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't donate veggi's to the local John 3:16 mission from my garden either. I can kind of understand it. Who knows that chemical were sprayed on them is why they don't accept them. Its a food issue, so I guess the 60 some I picked today, will go to the trash.

No I am talking one kids lunch was trashed because it had a cheese sandwich which did not meet government regs, other school districts are moving to ban kids bringing their own lunch totally so that they can control what your kids eat. Over one million kids have stopped buying school lunches so far and more regs are soon to kick in.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We crossed posts.

I saw the recent regs that said kids cannot bring a sack lunch in some communities. So far, it hasn't hit ours. An Ex cousin through marriage works the Ponca lunchrooms. I'll check with him the next time we shoot a match.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Incorporate PE back into schools. Eliminate vending machines. (schools don't want to do that - $$$)
Nutritious school lunches. It'll turn around.

Sad thing is, those things won't be implemented.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
She is only 7 years younger than you Rick, AND she is not diabetic.

I was not diabetic 7 years ago either. The opposite in fact. I had low blood sugar. That changed mainly because I spent way to much time behind a desk.

Incorporate PE back into schools. Eliminate vending machines. (schools don't want to do that - $$$)
Nutritious school lunches. It'll turn around.

Sad thing is, those things won't be implemented.

So true on all points.

Latest posts

Top Bottom