Home Defense Shotgun...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used a remington 870 for over a dozen years. Works every time. That's why it is the most widely used shotgun for law enforcement. Mossberg also makes a great shotgun. Stick with a pump and there is less to go wrong.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the original post was about pump guns but for what its worth...I have sold off my pump guns in preference of auto loaders. Id take a nice 1100 over an 870 any day for a HD gun. My current HD gun is a saiga 12...that has had an extensive amount of work done to it to make it as reliable as any shotgun (s12's are notorious for FTE & FTF out of the box).

???????? Buy a gun that is notorious for failures, pay for extensive, expensive work and the have it for HD.

I have 5 870s from '55 - '83 models. None has ever failed.
3 Mossberg 500. None has ever failed.
Old Savage pump, never failed.
4 1100s. Never failed.
1910 Rem 11, never failed.

And NONE have been modified, corrected, worked on, repaired, or touched by a 'smith. All have been used extensively.

Get you an older 870 / 1100 / 500 on the cheap and use it with confidence.
BTW only 4 of the above were purchased new.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
???????? Buy a gun that is notorious for failures, pay for extensive, expensive work and the have it for HD.

I have 5 870s from '55 - '83 models. None has ever failed.
3 Mossberg 500. None has ever failed.
Old Savage pump, never failed.
4 1100s. Never failed.
1910 Rem 11, never failed.

And NONE have been modified, corrected, worked on, repaired, or touched by a 'smith. All have been used extensively.

Get you an older 870 / 1100 / 500 on the cheap and use it with confidence.
BTW only 4 of the above were purchased new.

I understand your point and agree that for out of the box reliability your recommendations are the way to go...notice that I also recommended the 870 and 1100 in previous posts :wink2: I was obsessed with saiga 12's for a good amount of time and cant stand an unreliable weapon. I did the research and did all the work myself...It was fun for me to learn how my favorite gun functioned and correcting the issues was pretty satisfying. Now both run 100% with any load. Everyone tends to promote what they like...and I like saigas.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone tends to promote what they like...and I like saigas.

I'm with you on this. I have a S-12 that received the Tromix treatment, and it's been flawless with just one FTE - caused by a tiny woman who leaned backward before shooting a light field load. Once she was informed of the need for a more aggressive stance, no further issues.

spacepiggy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington makes many models of the 870, you can pay a lot for one. Unless you plan to use your HD a lot for hunting or clays, you can't go wrong with the Rem 870 Express. You want it to function when you need it. Express must mean they build a lot of them in a hurry. Fit and finish of the Express line isn't as nice, but they all go bang. You can always pimp it out later if you want bling and christmas ornaments.

Last edited:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I took a liking to the Mossberg 500/590 series for it being more left handed friendly with its tang safety, and it rugged design. Due to disability issue's that are aggravated with heavy recoil, even with a heavy duty recoil pad, I gave my 590A1 to my son, and got myself a 500 Special Purpose 20Ga. With an extra slip on recoil pad the 20Ga. loads are very easy on my shoulder and neck. Folks can look down their nose at the 20Ga, but loaded with 2-3/4" or 3" buckshot or slugs. She is a very formidable combat shotgun, only being passed up by the 590A1, and the 930SP(I wish Mossberg would make the 930SP like they did with the 500SP in 20Ga.).

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife owns a H&R Pardner Protector. I bought it used from a member on here for $150. It is a Norinco made 870 clone, mostly. The steel is said to have a higher carbon content.

I walked in the door, excited about my new little shotgun. My wife, sitting on the couch, asked, "Oh. Does that go cha chuh?" She was referring to the pumping action noise. I just handed it to her. I knew I had already lost. She has shot it twice. I have a bazillion times. Still, it belongs to her.

Just my two cents on another option. I think all 870 parts are said to interchange with it, less the barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom