Home defense shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like a 870 Youth model 20 gauge for home defense. It is light and easy to shoot with one hand while the other hand is opening a door, and the short stock makes it easy to manuever in tight areas. A 20 gauge has less blast and recoil and fast follow up shots, and is still plenty powerful enough with cheap #3 Buck that you can buy at Walmart. Also, if you ever went to court over a shooting, it might be beneficial that it looks like a typical hunting type shotgun instead of a "Rambo Deathstalker Assault Blaster Deluxe"!

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, your choice is an excellent one. I have an 870 Express each in 12 and 20 guage, and both have functioned flawlessly for years over the course of many many rounds.

Luckily neither has been deployed in a self defense situation, but I do know for certain that if the clay pigeons ever invade, I'm friggin' set.

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could also look at a mossburg 500A persuader. I paid $325 for mine NIB from Outdoor America store. Its a 18.5" bbl, 5 + 1 with 2 3/4 shells, and it comes with a pistol grip and the short stock. I added the 6 round side saddle to mine and filled the tube and side saddle with LE low recoil 00 Buck and 1 LE rifled slug on the saddle

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
watching wednesday night shooting on outdoor network a while back and they showed 00 buck compared to some regular dove loads and according to the show the dove loads would be plenty sufficent and would not keep penatrating walls like 00 buck. This was filmed at USSA with Phil Strader. Maybe I miss understood. Please inform me if I did.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like a 870 Youth model 20 gauge for home defense. It is light and easy to shoot with one hand while the other hand is opening a door, and the short stock makes it easy to manuever in tight areas. A 20 gauge has less blast and recoil and fast follow up shots, and is still plenty powerful enough with cheap #3 Buck that you can buy at Walmart. Also, if you ever went to court over a shooting, it might be beneficial that it looks like a typical hunting type shotgun instead of a "Rambo Deathstalker Assault Blaster Deluxe"!

Holy cow, I have said exactly the same thing before. Not to say you stole my advice but rather to say I totally agree with you.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they showed 00 buck compared to some regular dove loads and according to the show the dove loads would be plenty sufficent
From someone that ran more than a few shooting in Wichita in the mid-90s: no, it is not. I also had some time in Corrections; birdshot (BS) is used because of the low potential for lethiality. Birdshot is "asking" someone to leave the premises.

Possibly as a first round, but have something with lethal capability immediately behind it so you don't, "find yourself in the pharmacist's shoes."

man of many calibers

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a Rem 870 with six 3" 000 buck and five slugs on the side saddle. I want to make sure that I bring enough gun to the fight "just in case"!

The Rem 870 I keep in the house just has Buckshot in the tube and in the saddle because I never plan on running out of the house and shooting more than 30 yards.

The Rem 870 I keep in the car has buckshot in the tube and slugs in the saddle so I can always "select a slug" if I have to go out past 35 yards.

I have never owned one, but I hear that those mossberbs are pretty good guns too. They are a little cheapers too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom