Homemade walk in cooler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Americans are good at improvising, that is how we got where we are! I watched a documentary about American POW's of the Japs during WW2. This American Army Doctor, that was taken prisoner at Corridor, was talking about how resourceful the American POW's were. He said they improvise everything you can imagine from radios, to toilets that flushed automatically! he said the typical Jap soldier was stupid, and were only good at OBEYING ORDERS unconditionally, and incapable of doing anything on their own!! Ever watch Communist Chinese, or North Koren, troops in a parade? They are so PERFECT it's like robots. I suspect they would be like the Jap troops in combat, so highly trained they are worthless, without someone telling them exactly what to do?

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm trying to design a walk in cooler in a enclosed building. It'll be roughly 7' x 7' x 9'. I'll use a air conditioner and a cool bot to cool with. I'll probably use closed cell foam insulation.

Has anyone done this and what recommendations do you have or things learned.
I had to do it at a previous job, a bit bigger though 12 X 20. 6inch stud walls with fiberglass 8 inch ceiling with green board fire taped. The covered with Styrofoam insulation board and taped the cracks with thermal tape. Cooling was done with a compressor meant for the purpose.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if you are on Facebook, but I saw someone had a bunch of stacks of walk in cooler panels listed today. Said something like $200/stack but it didn't specify how many panels were in the stack.
I'm not on Facebook. I don't know what size the factory panels are but I'm limited to the area in my barn where it can go. 7' is the max length and width I have room for.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Build it mobile. Take it to a Spray foam guy on his job site. Save you some coin. I insulated an Enclosed Trailer last year to move with, took it to a job site and had it prepped before I left. Just tapped what I did not want it foamed. Total Floor tarped off.

Last edited:

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Build it mobile. Take it to a Spray foam guy on his job site. Save you some coin. I insulated an Enclosed Trailer last year to move with, took it to a job site and had it prepped before I left. Just tapped what I did not want it foamed. Total Floor tarped off.
I don't need a mobile unit. People would want to borrow it and tear it up. I have a plan for my processing room just across the hall. Plus being in a insulated building it will be more efficient. No sun will be shining on it.

I raise and butcher my own chickens, pork, quail, chuckers and garden produce. I don't plan on needing it mobile. I have my own 250 acres here to hunt on and ponds to fish in.

Plus I already have the building to build it in. Trailer would be another expense.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plus I already have the building to build it in. Trailer would be another expense.
Can you get a 7'x7'x9' box out the door of the building? If so, you could rent/borrow a trailer to haul the box to a job site and follow Mr. G's suggestion.

It would probably be easier to get the foam insulation panels that they use to build walk-in freezers, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom