Homemade walk in cooler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

428cobra

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to design a walk in cooler in a enclosed building. It'll be roughly 7' x 7' x 9'. I'll use a air conditioner and a cool bot to cool with. I'll probably use closed cell foam insulation.

Has anyone done this and what recommendations do you have or things learned.
I have done exactly what you are planning. If my memory is
correct, you are going to want to get a R-30 or R-35 worth of foam. I double framed my walls (turned my 2x4s flat and offset them) so I didnt lose any r-value through the wood. My biggest issue was/is the door. I sprung for a foam insulated metal building type door and have a 80mil vinyl curtain in front of it, but it still sweats bad if you have the temp cranked down. It will maintain around 35° if you keep the door shut. Mine is built in the end of a connex.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you get a 7'x7'x9' box out the door of the building? If so, you could rent/borrow a trailer to haul the box to a job site and follow Mr. G's suggestion.

It would probably be easier to get the foam insulation panels that they use to build walk-in freezers, though.
No way to do that. I've got a person to call that may have some used 1 3/4 insulation for cheap.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have done exactly what you are planning. If my memory is
correct, you are going to want to get a R-30 or R-35 worth of foam. I double framed my walls (turned my 2x4s flat and offset them) so I didnt lose any r-value through the wood. My biggest issue was/is the door. I sprung for a foam insulated metal building type door and have a 80mil vinyl curtain in front of it, but it still sweats bad if you have the temp cranked down. It will maintain around 35° if you keep the door shut. Mine is built in the end of a connex.
Industry standard is R 25. I'll triple layer the insulation boards and insulate cement floor too.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spent several days working on the processing room. This was a hog farrowing barn back many years ago.

Pressure washed, patched, primed and painted. Will install sink, shelves, refrigerator/ freezer, tables for equipment, lights and outlets.
IMG_20231016_162249432.jpg
IMG_20231016_162256079.jpg

The walk in cooler will be directly across from it. Currently needs a lot of work
IMG_20231016_162305535.jpg

Doors leading in
IMG_20231016_162402964_HDR.jpg

Stainless sink table upside down. Will cut and install sink.
IMG_20231016_162415473_HDR.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom