How are your savings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the amount you have saved gone up or down since 2020?

• Up

Votes: 45 62.5%
  • Down

Votes: 27 37.5%

• Total voters

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of these new vehicles sure catch my eye, but I have three classics that would be show quality if I spent the price of a new one on all the them collectively. Lost my last job due to medical restrictions two years shy of qualifying for medical disability so now I’m shifting gears. Getting my A&P certs Lord willing so I have a little more income independence.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Savings are good. No need to use any either. No debt for years now. If I need any extra cash, I’ll sell off some rifles. I Retired with SS, a work pension, & IRA, 403-b. I’ve made a lot of bad decisions but not saving for retirement wasnt one of them. My father told me he never met an old person who said “wow I saved way too much $ to retire on”. So, I maximized my 403-b with company matching contributions, & my IRA’s.
Any young folks out there, I recommend starting a Roth IRA with automatic bank contributions in a good S&P 500 index mutual fund. Even if only $100/month. Do that in your 20’s or 30’s & you’ll have a Million when you retire in your 60’s. It may not be enough to retire on alone, but it won’t suck either😁

Last edited:

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, we do actual work. Trust me I have four palletizers I run and I operate a forklift most of the night.
1694273304223.png

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Savings are good. No need to use any either. No debt for years now. If I need any extra cash, I’ll sell off some rifles. I Retired with SS, a work pension, & IRA, 403-b. I’ve made a lot of bad decisions but not saving for retirement wasnt one of them. My father told me he never met an old person who said “wow I saved too much $ to retire on”. So, I maximized my 403-b with company matching contributions, & my IRA’s.
Any young folks out there, I recommend starting a Roth IRA with automatic bank contributions in a good S&P 500 index mutual fund. Even if only $100/month. Do that in your 20’s or 30’s & you’ll have a Million when you retire in your 60’s. It may not be enough to retire on alone, but it won’t suck either😁
After a year at my company, they will match my 401k up to 5%. I’m doing 3 now so when I hit that year I’m bumping up to 5 to get 10% essentially. I also just enrolled in the employee stock purchase plan. I do $150 a check. They do two purchase periods. Jan 1- June 30 and July 1 - Dec 31. In each period they take all the money you contributed and buy all the shares possible with the lowest share cost on either the first or last day of the period PLUS it’s 15% off of that lowest cost. That’s likely going to be my biggest retirement plan. I’m going to start bumping that up as I start making more money.

Young people, don’t buy new cars. Don’t rack up credit cards. A lot of the younger families you see with fancy cars and they just look like they’re well off, guess what, most of the time they are overloaded with personal debt. It’s just a waste of money to look successful

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good man!
I eat alot of steaks now. I grew up poor as a church mouse and ate poor people food. Sometimes dinner was a bowl of white rice with milk and sugar. Vienne sausages were a treat as was potted meat and spam.
Of course, I didnt know any different until I was older. That taught me so much.
I cant complain one bit now.
I still buy Spam also LOL

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I eat alot of steaks now. I grew up poor as a church mouse and ate poor people food. Sometimes dinner was a bowl of white rice with milk and sugar. Vienne sausages were a treat as was potted meat and spam.
Of course, I didnt know any different until I was older. That taught me so much.
I cant complain one bit now.
I still buy Spam also LOL

It's so funny how our childhoods shape us. I didn't eat steak for YEARS after I left home. Because it's all we ever had. If it wasn't steak it was roast and if not roast then hamburger. I actually went vegetarian for a while because I could not stand the taste of beef or poultry of any kind. That's what happens when your clients barter in trade with you. We had 7 deep freezes on that property and every single one of them stayed stuffed to the gills with ... Yep, you guessed it. Beef ...

Now I don't mind it at all as long as it's cooked right. My folks thought everything needed to be so well-done you could make shoe soles outta it. My personal opinion is if it doesn't moo you've cooked it too long. 🤗 So ... Now that I can cook it the way I like it ... Well ... Beef ain't so bad.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's so funny how our childhoods shape us. I didn't eat steak for YEARS after I left home. Because it's all we ever had. If it wasn't steak it was roast and if not roast then hamburger. I actually went vegetarian for a while because I could not stand the taste of beef or poultry of any kind. That's what happens when your clients barter in trade with you. We had 7 deep freezes on that property and every single one of them stayed stuffed to the gills with ... Yep, you guessed it. Beef ...

Now I don't mind it at all as long as it's cooked right. My folks thought everything needed to be so well-done you could make shoe soles outta it. My personal opinion is if it doesn't moo you've cooked it too long. 🤗 So ... Now that I can cook it the way I like it ... Well ... Beef ain't so bad.
A rib eye steak at 135 degrees is perfect for me lol
I hardly ever got steak as a child. When I did it was like heaven opened up in our kitchen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom