How are your savings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the amount you have saved gone up or down since 2020?

• Up

Votes: 45 62.5%
  • Down

Votes: 27 37.5%

• Total voters

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Savings are reasonable and will get better when we pay the house off next year. I think we're about six payments off from that happening, but then we have to save for college expenses. The eldest graduates this year and the youngest the year after, so we timed the mortgage just right.
That’s awesome.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How are my savings doing? Fantastic. In 2021 a Cd paid something like .1 or .2 percent, meaning a 100K investment paid 100 to 200 dollars, now a CD pays 5 to 6 percent so a 100K investment pays 5-6 thousand dollars, about 50 times what you made in 2021. The next argument will be inflation, inflation is eating all your earnings up, your losing money, blah. Are there magic things out there that inflation isn't eating up? No. I'm not saying CD's are the best, it all depends on your situation, For me they are, I'm old. And when that broker says I have some products here that are killing it, that might mean he's killing it, and after you get the statement he might be making more on your investment than you are. And guess who bears all the risk, you do.
I don't doubt savings are down, that is a different issue, people are getting into their savings trying to maintain their quality of life, maybe that is what needs to be adjusted. Inflation is exactly what is causing this, and in spite of what they say about inflation running 3,4,5, percent, they are lying to you, inflation is more like 50 to 100 percent. Look at eggs, milk, or things like paint and lumber. The cost of building materials for a median priced 2-300K house has increased 20 thousand dollars. Inflation is a code word for "I'm going to charge you more, but you're not getting more." And there is no justification.
Years ago I went to see a lumber broker, very successful, and well thought of, I told him what I wanted and he said ok, let's talk about what you're doing, and I told him all about that, and it was going very smooth, and pleasant. I said I'd like to buy a truckload, he says that is about 25,000 board feet, with delivery and fees you're looking at about 12,000 dollars, I said let's do it. At that he jumped up to his feet and yelled " how am I going to get my f*cking money?" I was shocked, I sat there looking at him wondering if this was a joke, and I finally said " when the truck pulls into the yard, I'll write you a check, and if you like I can have someone drive it over." He says" just mail it." Every thing was back to normal, it was weird. But here's the takeaway, don't ever be afraid to ask "what am I getting for my f*cking money.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fences are EXPENSIVE!!!

We priced it for our house....8,000 for shadow fence where the planks are staggerd for wind pass thru.

That is removal of the one we have and putting in new.

We have a large yard.
Fences are only worth it if you replace it yourself. You can rent a TwoMex (skid steer) from Homo Depot for about $300 to dig the post holes quickly. Then three bags of concrete per post, about 9.00, the post (4x6, instead of 4x4 because of Oklahoma wind) at about $30.00, then you just pop up some 2x4s for the cross beams and start tacking on the slats. If you rent a nail gun too you can be done in two weekends - mainly because you need to let the concrete set. Make sure to hill it up too so it's taller than the ground or your post will rot right at ground level.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I eat alot of steaks now. I grew up poor as a church mouse and ate poor people food. Sometimes dinner was a bowl of white rice with milk and sugar. Vienne sausages were a treat as was potted meat and spam.
It's sort of funny, but when we're younger we can't afford steak but then as we get older we can afford it but we're not supposed to eat it due to health reasons-cholesterol and so on.
I never knew what tartar sauce was, as a kid, steak sauce like A-1? Never heard of it. I never had much as a kid and then I joined the Air Force and a new world opened! I had a change of clothes, underwear that fit, a tie (what's that and how is it tied?) More than one pair of shoes, shoe polish...ah, I can sill remember the smell of everyone polishing shoes and talking while sitting on footlockers. Three (to me gourmet) meals per day! It was great!

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's sort of funny, but when we're younger we can't afford steak but then as we get older we can afford it but we're not supposed to eat it due to health reasons-cholesterol and so on.
I never knew what tartar sauce was, as a kid, steak sauce like A-1? Never heard of it. I never had much as a kid and then I joined the Air Force and a new world opened! I had a change of clothes, underwear that fit, a tie (what's that and how is it tied?) More than one pair of shoes, shoe polish...ah, I can sill remember the smell of everyone polishing shoes and talking while sitting on footlockers. Three (to me gourmet) meals per day! It was great!
Not a goal, but I've heard people that came back from a clogged artery death. They say they're fine one second, then they wake up in the hospital. No pain, no warning, just going through life then they're gone.
To everyone watching they drop to the ground and "turn off". To them they just aren't there anymore. As far as ways to go, it's not half bad. And as a bonus you get to eat steak!

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To everyone watching they drop to the ground and "turn off". To them they just aren't there anymore. As far as ways to go, it's not half bad. And as a bonus you get to eat steak!
Yep, when we finally leave this life we don't even know we're dead, at least no one tells us on this earth. We lie in state and everyone lines up, leans over and looks at us and says, "doesn't he look good dead?" If we could only answer they'd be surprised! Maybe I'll put a small speaker in the box with me and have someone speak something and scare them...

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, when we finally leave this life we don't even know we're dead, at least no one tells us on this earth. We lie in state and everyone lines up, leans over and looks at us and says, "doesn't he look good dead?" If we could only answer they'd be surprised! Maybe I'll put a small speaker in the box with me and have someone speak something and scare them...
A speaker with a tape on a loop telling everyone secrets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom