How do you get yours out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For most of 30 years, I drug my deer out the old fashioned way with a rope, but finally the spring chicken in me, turned into a worn out old rooster, and had to go mechanized.
What are you guys using?

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Photo0102.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends where they fall? I have once carried a doe (without gutting) over my shoulders about a 1/2 mile because it was on a quarter section I couldn't drive in. Many get pulled out by hand to a point I can get in with a truck. 4 wheeler as been used on some, but the 4 wheeler is mostly a hassle because I can get a truck within 50 yards of most. I have a game cart, that was used on one in a wheat field that I didn't want to drive on, or drag a deer across it, because it was early season and wasn't rooted in good.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a waist belt with a rope on it and tie the rope to the deers head so it holds it up just a little off the ground and sling the belt over my head so it is on one shoulder and drag....unless I can drive the pickup to it. I just ordered some wheels for a ladder stand I made and I think it can be a cart and a stand. I'll let you know how that turns out.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a roll-up plastic "sled" that makes dragging a deer almost tolerable for someone who has passed his prime. As long as it isn't too steep or too rocky or too brushy, it works fairly well.

One of the neighbors has a helicopter, and I have been tempted to call him, but I don't think he has external load qualifications or capability. CB

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This year I'm draggin them out with my brand new 1985 Honda 200S ATC! Dang I wish that thing had electric start. Sometimes I think I would have more energy after draggin a deer then pulling on that rope!

Dennis, where do you put your gun? I mounted a gun rack on my front fender but the headlamp ain't worth a flip at night if my gun is in it.

ai641.photobucket.com_albums_uu135_jmiller556_9134fb38.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This year I'm draggin them out with my brand new 1985 Honda 200S ATC! Dang I wish that thing had electric start. Sometimes I think I would have more energy after draggin a deer then pulling on that rope!

Dennis, where do you put your gun? I mounted a gun rack on my front fender but the headlamp ain't worth a flip at night if my gun is in it.

I don't have a gun rack on mine. Just sling it over my chest and one shoulder. Works pretty good. I'm gonna have to do something about that chrome guard on my headlight. I think it reflects about as much light back as it does forward.
Have a fix in mind, but in the meantime, its gonna be a piece of plastic or duct tape over the top of it.
the electric start on mine is pretty nifty. It has a kick starter if the battery goes south.

RackStacker30

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm still using brute strength and draggin' them out by hand to a spot where I can drive the truck. Not a whole lot of fun having to do this by yourself when your hunting buddies can't go. Been thinking about getting one of those carts. I know Academy had them on clearance last year after the season. Will probably get one this year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still using brute strength and draggin' them out by hand to a spot where I can drive the truck. Not a whole lot of fun having to do this by yourself when your hunting buddies can't go. Been thinking about getting one of those carts. I know Academy had them on clearance last year after the season. Will probably get one this year.

Allow me to recomend the cart you see in the OP. Its sold by cabellas, and is listed at the "mule" when I bought it, but I think its another name now.
It has that open area at the end where you can step into it, and look like a rick shaw driver. I've had two deer on it at the same time as well as 3 elk at different times, all being human powered. The 20" wheels get over rocks, etc better than some of the small tired ones.
This model offers a double wheel model that increased the load weight from 500 lbs to 750 lbs. Last season I didn't secure the hoofs of a deer, and ended up ripping 4 spokes from the wheels so I may be looking for a new one if parts aren't available. I'll certainly buy the same model.

Latest posts

Top Bottom