How do you get yours out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's pretty cool Dennis.

I've long wanted a couple mules. Mule owners are biased, but every one tells me they are smarter than a horse. Having seen horses do some really stupid things, I find that easy to believe. I've never liked horses.

An old guy I talked to one time that used to hunt with mules in the Rockies said if you want a horse to go down something dangerous he knows will get him and you hurt, he'll do it to please you. A mule will look at you and say "You first, dumbass."

I live 4 miles from my dad, so I'm hoping to get one and him get one also, and alternate keeping them in his pasture and mine. Maybe in a few years.

A couple of guys that I work with, have mules, and use them in Co. for elk hunting.
There opinion is the same as yours. A mule will get you there, but a horse.....maybe not.
That being said a flatland horse is a totally different animal than a horse born, and raised in the mountains.
The wranglers up there will take the colts onto the mountain trails to get them used to what is required.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Work smarter, not harder. Most of the time I can get my 4wheeler right down to it. I'm all about dragging or hauling something with machinery and not my legs.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Work smarter, not harder. Most of the time I can get my 4wheeler right down to it. I'm all about dragging or hauling something with machinery and not my legs.

This. Used a combination of ATV, winch, ropes and a chain to pull one up out of that canyon behind me in that last pic a couple of years ago. Once I got him moving I kept going an pulled him right on an a waiting trailer at the top canyon.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a pair of very big German Shorthair Pointers. I put pulling harnesses on them and they think its a big game to drag stuff around...besides, my male is trained as a blood tracker...

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
up until 2007 it was grab a leg or horn and get to pulling but i havent drug a deer more than few feet since i got my Polaris Ranger..... also beats carrying stands and 50lb bags of feed a half mile or so.... I wouldnt say they are worth the $$$ but its too late now im spoiled

THat's funny. When I first started hunting with my FIL on his 1K acre lease back in the mid-late '90s he would tell me that the 4wheelers were just not necessary, too loud, expensive, scare the game. You name it he had a reason to hate them. SInce the lease is about 2 miles long and 1 mile wide and camp is stationed about in the middle he would walk to and from the stand every morning and every night. He put a lot of miles on his hunting boots.

Well, what do ya know. In 2005 or so he bought a Sportsman 700 and doesn't know how he lived with out it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom