How do you tell someone their meat sucks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this right here:Make something better and give it to them, if they like it, they may ask the secret to the success, and you can share with them.

That is what i was thinking..I have had 3 friends give me the "nasty deer meat"
Only one so far has had my summer sausage deer.. and he was wanting to know the secret.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like the idea of giving them something better.

It's the old 'lead by example' addage. I will bring this up to the wife tonight, see what she says. Thanks guys!

Just make sure what you give them is actually better, or they may be asking you if you want their recipe! LOL

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Come right out and tell them and then tell them reasons why it could be like that. It will continue to suck if you dont help right the ship. Dont beat around the bush. I appreciate honesty, even if its brutal at times, more than a person who lies or is a bull s******.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was working in a manufacturing plant while in college, I took a crock pot of deer chili to share at break time. I was a little late getting to break and when I arrived, a guy commented how good the deer chili was. At that moment, a woman who had nearly finished her bowl proceeded to make vomiting sounds and started wiping her tongue with a paper towel. Most of us had a pretty good laugh about it, but I assure you, just because she didn't like it (after she knew what it was) the rest of it was cleaned up and no complaints.

I am not saying your wife doesn't like venison, but maybe she just has a different taste preference as her friend. Maybe have a venison pot luck to share recipes and then see if any questions are comments are raised during this.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea definetly would have kept my mouth shut.

That being said, I personally have never had venison so bad that I could not eat it! Some worse than others, due to over cooking or not seasoned appropriately, but never so gamey I couldn't eat it! This leads me to believe one of two things. Either your wife is very sensitive to the gamey flavor of meat, I have met people like this, my mother is one of them. Or the deer she was eating was handled horribly after the kill and I mean awfully, which is entirely possible.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I can tell you guys that my wife is NOT sensitive to gamey meat. Sometimes I feel like I am more sensitive to it than she is. We've had both had overly gamey venison before. It happens to everyone. Part of what makes venison so great is it's unique taste. A total absence of that taste is what some strive for. We do not.

If it was bad enough for her to not be able to finish it, I can confidently say that it must have been REALLY bad. Yesterday, an opportunity opened up for my wife to lead by example. Apparently one of the classes she is in does a yearly fund raiser by doing a chilli cook-off. the wife volunteered to do her venison chilli - lucky bastards have no idea what they are in for (I've been promised one bowl and one bowl only for my own consumption. :drooling:). My hope is that this will open up a dialogue between her and her friend, comparing and contrasting the two dishes.

I sincerely think that they have never experienced a mild venison meal and will have their eyes opened to what they are missing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom