How long are primers and powders good for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a snippet from article at the link below.

“You can tell if a can of powder is good or bad by giving its contents a sniff test. If the smell ranges from no detectable odor to resembling alcohol, ether or acetone (from its solvent content), it is okay. If you get a terribly unpleasant, acidic odor that fries your nasal passages, extreme deterioration has taken place. The odor is difficult to describe, but my nose says the experience is quite a bit like taking a strong whiff of the fumes produced by muriatic acid.”

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/how-to-determine-gunpowder-shelf-life/83922

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To check the primers load one in a case and fire it off, you can do it in your house it will just make a small pop like a cap gun.

^This. But I prefer to do it outdoors and in a safe direction.

Yep, Outdoors. If you do it in the garage, even, you're gonna' be surprised how loud that 'pop' is!

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am NOT an expert. I have been using up 20+ year old primers with no issues. I finished a pound of Hercules Unique, very old powder at $7.95 for pound. It was still good, I am loading light loads with it for very old rifles. No issues.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Powder and primers, IF PROPERLY STORED, will easily last 100 years. I'm not even sure they have a limitation to their shelf life. It's all about the storage. Wide temp swings and high temps is what will make things go bad.

Humidity isn't the bugaboo that most think it is. One of the original lots of Hercules Bullseye was stored in deionized water for preservation. They'd dehydrate a sample of it and test it alongside the new to compare the new to the original as a QC check. I wonder if they still have some of it left? :scratch: Wet primers work as new if they've been wet as long as they are allowed to dry completely.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have saw some bad powder with a reddish dust in it once.

I dumped it out (outside) and lit it up!

When I did the CMP shoot at Camp Perry, shooting the M1 Garands, the government issue Lake City 30/06 ammo we was using was as old (maybe older) as I was!

I have red dot, bullseye, and herco I got in a reloading lot buy that is in the cardboard containers (I bought in the late 90's), still using it today!
image.jpg

Using primers from the 90's as well!

I keep primers in sealed 50 cal ammo cans!

Try and keep the temps consistant all year and the humidity low too!

Latest posts

Top Bottom