How much is your AR weight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine has the 16" bull barrel so it's pretty heavy. But it's also a DPMS so I guess I shouldn't be posting in an AR discussion since I don't really own a "real" AR. After work I should probably go throw myself under a bus.

cimarronvalley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No offence, but start working out your left arm/shoulder with low weights using numerous repititions. I shoot RRA NM rifle from standing with iron and repeatably achive 2"< 3 shot groups at 115 meters. Not bad for a criple. Mine RRA weighs about 9.9 lbs with 30 rnd mag. Good shooting.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine weighs in at 13.6lbs. 18" Fluted Bull Barrel made for competition shooting. Heavy as crap going after yotes. Learn to seat you elbow under the rifle and into you body, it will make the world of difference.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine weighs in at 13.6lbs. 18" Fluted Bull Barrel made for competition shooting. Heavy as crap going after yotes. Learn to seat you elbow under the rifle and into you body, it will make the world of difference.

this is what I have on my AR:

Eotech 512, Vltor stock, YHM HG, YHM QD flashhider. I don't have all the high end stuffs so I guess the weight is a little different compared to any others. My left hand and wrist are messed up so I guess that could be a problem too.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you doing dynamic style shooting or classic marksman style shooting? If the latter, jarhead983 gives good advice. It's not hard to get used to doing it with a 10#+ rifle. The key to reducing fatigue is to properly balance the rifle. The majority of AR's as set up by their owners are too muzzle heavy. This will cause an 8# rifle to fatigue the shooter more than a 9# rifle that's properly balanced. Some of the traditional marksman style competition shooters will even have a lead ingot in the buttstock.

If it's the former, you're not alone. Many 1st time attendees at dynamic rifle training courses quickly tire from their bloated unbalanced rifles. Light balanced rifles are very helpful here.

It might help if you post up what your rifle is and how you have it set up, along with what you want to do with it. FWIW, mine are set up like this:

Dynamic competition carbine: DPMS lower with std. collapsible stock, Professional Ordinance 16" upper with fluted barrel and low mass bolt carrier, Aimpoint 7000SC optic. With Vickers VCAS 2 point sling and loaded PMag (28 rounds) weight is 6 pounds 13 ounces. This is a very fast handling and well balanced rifle.

My RR M16A1 is set up with a Magpul CTR stock, an 11.5" Colt 6933 upper with Aimpoint H1 Micro optic on a Daniel Defense mount, Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 rail and std. ladder covers, Magpul Angled Foregrip, Midwest Industries FSB flashlight mount and Streamlight M3 light. With Vickers padded UDC single point sling and loaded PMag (28 rounds) weight is 8 pounds 5 ounces. Adding the M4-2000 suppressor brings the weight to 9 pounds 6 ounces.

My SHTF carbine is a Noveske lower set up like the M16, Noveske 14.5" N4 low pro switchblock upper with Aimpoint M3 in a Larue cantilever mount, Larue FUG vertical foregrip, ladder panels and Larue index clips, Surefire 6P LED light in a Vltor throw lever mount, XTM07 tailcap with tape switch and Troy BUIS. This one with the VCAS sling and loaded Pmag weighs just over 10 pounds and add another pound for the suppressor. This one is too heavy and unbalanced and will be going on a diet soon, starting with the light, FUG grip and M3 optic. I may wind up swapping the CTR stock for an ACS or UBR to balance it better.

So you can see that how you set the rifle up is almost as important as how much it weighs in most cases. A lot of AR shooters are putting their rifles on diets these days and there have been several lightweight barrels coming to market recently because of this.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Top Bottom