How's everybody's garden doing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question....can you grow romaine lettuce completely in big potting buckets (I don't know what they are called)? Also same question with tomatoes?

Long story short, I'd like to grow romaine and tomatoes but I don't have a garden and my back issues make working a traditional garden impossible so I'm limited to containers if I do it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've grown romaine in a pot before. I had really good luck when I was living in an apartment in my younger days. I was on the 2nd floor, so no rabbits! it was great!

Romain is my favorite lettuce. The bugs get it in the garden. We have some 10 gallon pots around the pool, I'll see if the better half will let me try some. It might be too late in the season for it though? Don't know, never grew it.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We changed our garden this year and made raised beds (wifes idea), we planted potatoes and onions a week ago and just got the tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash in this past weekend. The potatoes and onions are looking really good, but too early to tell for the others. Here's a not so good pic of the pallet garden. I like the way we used to have it just tilling up the ground, but this keeps our big dog from pissing on our veggies. lol Garden.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the last 24 hours, all the peas, beans, and corn we planted a couple weeks ago have popped up, and a few of the watermelons too. We need rain bad though.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My tomatoes have grown too tall too fast and are top heavy now. I have the grow light as close to them as I can get it so they don't "reach" for the light and I have them supported by tying them to skewers that I staked in the soil next to them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them to fill out? So far the only idea I've got is to get bigger pots and plant them deeper, basically burying the excessive height.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My tomatoes have grown too tall too fast and are top heavy now. I have the grow light as close to them as I can get it so they don't "reach" for the light and I have them supported by tying them to skewers that I staked in the soil next to them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them to fill out? So far the only idea I've got is to get bigger pots and plant them deeper, basically burying the excessive height.

Plant them outside? I am for real. Transplant outdoors and use the trench method for the plant.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Sweetie has given orders to make some raised beds. Sooooooooooooo I'm going to have a garden this year to keep up all summer instead of drinking beer. Probably start this weekend so we can enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom