Hunting dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trashboat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have had a beagle and a chocolate lab. I either choose the wrong breeds or got lucky enough to get dogs that were mentaly retarded. The beagle would tree squirells at night and coons in the day. The lab would run half a mile everytime someone shot something and both dogs would chase a deer for days. What breed should I try next. I need a good coon dog or a squirell dog but not one that can't get it right.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want a coondog, go with a bluetick. I've been out of the bluetick business for a few years,so I don't.know any breeders...or good local bloodlines.

I got most of my dogs from Dave Dean out of Michigan.

To tell you the truth...its beem a while. I don't know if Dave is still alive? His dogs were good....real good.

Cohiba

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here goes my armchair knowledge...if I'm wrong...I don't claim to be an authority.

The Red Tick, I think either comes from or is an English coonhound. I thinl a long time ago they were use to hunt fox. They obtain their own bloodline and went more toward the treeing hunting dog...like the Walker and Bluetick.

In the 21st Century...there probably ins't much difference.between the treeing hounds.

** With myself, it runs deep in my family....blueticks or nothing. You like apples and I like oranges, you lile Chevy and I like Ford, you dip skoal and I chew mailpouch.

Just remember two things. Real coon hunters are dead loyal to their dog bloodline/breed.
It cost just as much to feed a good dog as it does a mut...buy the best you can.

Cohiba

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No experience with raccoon or squirrel dogs, but heaps and mounds with bird/duck dogs. Do "coon" and squirrel dogs not require some pretty extensive training from the time they are weened? It was almost a full time job training and maintaining my bird dogs. Unfortunately for me, job and family took away much of my time and I felt it was better for the dogs to go to someone who could continue training them and keeping them in the hunt. I miss my silver factored chocolate lab though. Damn good dog all around.

Traded all my hunting dogs in for city life and some terriers. Guess I could start hunting rats, just wont be able to shoot since my terriers are obviously efficient at that whole mess.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a redbone coonhound I love but they are extremely vocal animals. If you live in a neighborhood your neighbors may very well hate you.

i143.photobucket.com_albums_r123_ras5040_Pets_4_15_2010009.jpg

i143.photobucket.com_albums_r123_ras5040_Pets_4_15_2010010.jpg

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For squirrel dog's back home (arkansas) everyone I knew and hunted with used feist dogs. They are about the size of a jack Russell. Great dogs. As far a coon hounds it's as much about cadence and the habits of the breed as any thing else as to what a good coon dog is. If you want a good coon dog spend the money on a year old plus dog that's proven from a reputable breeder. Or you'll likely get a possum treeing mut. Or at least buy a guaranteed pup. I learned the hard way with an expensive red heeler jip when I was younger. If your lucky you'll probably only ever one great dog in your life. Coon dogs require way to much time and money for no more than I coon hunt anymore. I'll just stick to trapping them. Good luck on getting a great new dog.

Latest posts

Top Bottom