hunting farm pond help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nativehunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a farm pond there is a slough behind it and the neighbor has a pond behind it. i have been duck hunting for awhile but never have hunted a pond with decoys.
My question is where and how should i set up in the pond or in the slough how many decoys also is it even worth hunting i have seen 30 mallards in the slough last year and there is always some ducks in the pond.

nativehunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there is always atleast 4-5 birds on the pond its 1/2 acre pond the slough is 1/4 acre the slough emptys into the pond i have seen alot more ducks on the slough but not all the time

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say 6-8 decoys at the slough/pond join point spread them out in 2 or 3 groups. Distance depends on your choke selection. I'd spend more time on your blind building than decoy placement though. Good luck!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son is the duck hunter and could tell you exactly how to hunt this set up, but my pond hunting experience has been jump shooting them. I can sit in a deer stand for days, but waiting for ducks just doesn't light my fire.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Spread 8-12 near bank closest to wind. Make a vee or u if you like as a landing area. If mallard dekes give em some room between decoys. Get brushed in between wind and dekes and wait.

Latest posts

Top Bottom