HVAC guys question - mildew smell when turning on heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Home heat was on for several months and fine. Then yesterday I got hot so I switched over to AC for a day. Then today back to heat and there was a strong moldy smell that came though the vents and I coudl smell it as long as the heat was running (enough to warm house 1 degree). Was there moisture in the ducts from running the AC or something? Seems like it would take longer than a day for mildew to build up? What would you do?

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
82B33F4E-D3A7-4524-8918-286EB2596745.jpeg
It’s located inside the interior unit.
If it’s not draining properly, it could mold inside

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can use the canned sprays, but proceed with caution. Make sure it is not highly acidic.
some say you don't Have to rinse it off, but I would if you can. I have heard of them causing
Serious damage to fins if not rinsed off. I would check your drain and make sure it is not
Plugged up

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We call that smell the dirty sock syndrome. Basically it's tiny particles on your evaporator coil that dry out after using your air conditioner and running your furnace. When you use the air conditioner again it gets moist and you smell it for a little bit. Like others have said clean your evaporator coil with some foaming cleaner, this usually takes care of it. Ultraviolet lights have become a great long term solution for this issue. I have a Premier One system on my house and have definitely noticed that the house smells better and my son's allergies are better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom