I feel violated....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SteveT doesn't say what caliber of weapon she was armed with... but for anyone who feels they would have shot him with a hand inside the window... while it would probably have been considered justifiable.... there are a number of things to consider...

1. If you've never been inside a closed room where a large caliber weapon is fired.. you don't know what you are missing... try firing off a large M-80 firecracker in your bedroom or living room sometimes or even out the window of a car with the windows rolled down.. that will give you a [small] idea. His child & wife very well might have suffered permanent hearing damage. Certainly worth the risk if in eminent danger of serious injury or death.. but if you can run the guy off and avoid it, that is the far better out-come.

2. It is one thing to say you will kill someone... it is a totally different thing to actually do it. Many highly trained LEO's who are involved in shootings.. even where the perp is only seriously wounded oft time get counseling to deal with the psychological trauma.

3. Retribution from the perps friends & relatives.... we've seen a perfect example of that in the current Zimmerman / Martin case out of Florida.

4. Having your home turned into a possible homicide / crime scene for a extended time period. Even if it is a justifiable shooting, you could could be put out of your home for a extended period of time while the investigation is being conducted and the scene preserved

5, Crime scene clean-up. Besides cleaning up any blood & bodily fluids resulting from a gunshot. You might have to replace carpet, furniture, sheet rock & paint. And a number of people [especially women] can't bear the thought of ever continuing to live in a place where someone was killed.. especially if they did the killing. Which means the cost of relocation.

I'd pull the trigger in a instant if they got the door or window open and were crossing the door or window Sill. But if it is only a matter of letting them run and replacing some glass.... or dealing with all the ramifications of a serious injury or death of a bad guy... I think in Steve's case just having to replace the glass was definitely the better way to go.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry it happened man, the violated feeling fades with time but I'm not sure it ever goes away completely. When I first moved back to OK a few years ago, my garage was broken into after only living in the house a couple of days. When I discovered that someone had been in my garage (one door away from being in my house) while my wife and I slept I got pretty paranoid. EVERY time I heard a strange noise in the middle of the night I went to check it out with a weapon in hand for about a month. Some of the habits I developed are still in place, which is a good thing. For example, I still latch my garage doors every night and double check that every door leading into my house is dead bolted before turning in.

Again, I'm sorry this happened to you but I'm glad that your wife made the right decision (IMO) and that everything turned out ok.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And thats one thing that really worries me.. My wife was raised by gun hating hippies.. Nice folks.. But ... Well you know the mold... And I have made progress with the wife, but would hate for something like that to happen at my house... I'm not 100% if she would grab my pistol or not..

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like she kept a cool head and did what she needed to do to thwart the BG. We're all thankful she didn't have to use the weapon, but certainly glad she had it.

DA 20

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:thumb: +1
SteveT doesn't say what caliber of weapon she was armed with... but for anyone who feels they would have shot him with a hand inside the window... while it would probably have been considered justifiable.... there are a number of things to consider...

1. If you've never been inside a closed room where a large caliber weapon is fired.. you don't know what you are missing... try firing off a large M-80 firecracker in your bedroom or living room sometimes or even out the window of a car with the windows rolled down.. that will give you a [small] idea. His child & wife very well might have suffered permanent hearing damage. Certainly worth the risk if in eminent danger of serious injury or death.. but if you can run the guy off and avoid it, that is the far better out-come.

2. It is one thing to say you will kill someone... it is a totally different thing to actually do it. Many highly trained LEO's who are involved in shootings.. even where the perp is only seriously wounded oft time get counseling to deal with the psychological trauma.

3. Retribution from the perps friends & relatives.... we've seen a perfect example of that in the current Zimmerman / Martin case out of Florida.

4. Having your home turned into a possible homicide / crime scene for a extended time period. Even if it is a justifiable shooting, you could could be put out of your home for a extended period of time while the investigation is being conducted and the scene preserved

5, Crime scene clean-up. Besides cleaning up any blood & bodily fluids resulting from a gunshot. You might have to replace carpet, furniture, sheet rock & paint. And a number of people [especially women] can't bear the thought of ever continuing to live in a place where someone was killed.. especially if they did the killing. Which means the cost of relocation.

I'd pull the trigger in a instant if they got the door or window open and were crossing the door or window Sill. But if it is only a matter of letting them run and replacing some glass.... or dealing with all the ramifications of a serious injury or death of a bad guy... I think in Steve's case just having to replace the glass was definitely the better way to go.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sucks, but I'm glad he didn't get in.

I have earmuffs next to my gun.

When we were kids, I was driving, my gf was up front with me, and my buddy was in the back seat with his grandma's 22 six shooter. We were going out to plink. He decided it would be funny to shoot it out the window, in to the ground, in a field. Man was I pissed. SO loud. I can only imagine what a real gun would be like, indoors.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, that same thing happened to me. I was riding with my FIL out in the cow pasture and he saw an armadillo. He stopped the ruck, pulled out his .223 rifle, and shot from inside the truck cab. I was clueless enough not to cover my ears, but I did avoid the casing flying at 100 mph.

Holy smokes.
My ears rang for days.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad she was prepared and it worked out. Hope you catch the scumbag.

What kind of an idiot trys to rob an officers house anyway? I guess thieves and crooks will never get any smarter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom