I finally got one over on a pawnshop! LOL.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have just started getting into golf lately. My wife got me a starter set to start playing with my father and brother in law, mainly so we can spend ( BONDING TIME ) together according to her. anyways I told her I would try the game for her, I figured I would hate it. I always use to laugh when people told me they played.

All I can say is now this has become like Crack! to me... I love it, I am looking for clubs, studying the game, reading deep into research about different clubs and balls. Crazy!!!!

So the last week I have been working to upgrade my club set, found me a decent set at a good price and got it. Didn't care for the drivers or the putter it came with, so I started looking. well yesterday before I hit the green I went to a few pawn shops. I went into the Extra Cash Pawn shop on western and they had a basically brand new Wilson Staff 8600 series putter. I remember reading about them before, so I ask how much. the lady comes back with "$20+tax" I snatched it up! went home and researched it, sure enough that specific model and series go for anywhere from $99.00 to $129.00. AWESOME RIGHT!!!!

Then today I went to some pawnshops on the northside. I hit a small pawnshop on 39th expressway and go in and low and behold I find all 3 woods I need. The #1, #3, #5. I got a pretty decent deal on the #3 and #5 wood. paid $17 bucks for both. online the affinity woods I got go for about $30 each online. Not bad.

BY FAR the best deal I found was the main driver the #1 wood. I look through this bag full of clubs and I see Callaway, Titlest, Ping, Scotty Cameron, basically every high dollar brand name you now. I see one I like the head shape of, I pull it out expecting a big sticker shock! all the other drivers in the bag were anywhere from $149 to $299. But just for fun I look at it. I almost had a heart attack when I see that it's only $29.00! BEST part is it is a PING TiSi Ti 350 series Graphite shaft, fully Titanium embodied head, adjustable grip. It is in excellent shape! I was sooooooooo excited. I thought to myself buy it before they realize that maybe its mismarked. And stupid me that loves to negotiate has the nerve to ask the kid at the counter "would you take $20" the kid shows another guy and asks him. Guy says fine. As I am checking out trying to contain my excitement, another guy walks by and say "oh we just put that out, already sold huh". Then I get nervous, he walks behind the kid at the counter and notices the reciept printing, he say's "is that what it was marked?" kid talks to him, I qucikly walk out!!!

I believe they had this driver mismarked. I got home and began to research it, sure enough they are going for over $100 in used condition on e-bay!

Anyways I just had to share, sometimes you can get a steal from a pawnshop!!!!!!!!

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know what you mean about the game being addictive...its just as bad as firearms. You always want the newest, best thing out there and all of it cost money! Sounds like you found some great deals at the pawn shops. If you ever need someone to play with (I use the word play very loosely as I should say, if you ever want someone to go dig up some turf and chase a little, white ball around) let me know and I'll meet you out somewhere.

Of course, we could always combine our love of golf and shooting with the following:

Last edited by a moderator:

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know what you mean about the game being addictive...its just as bad as firearms. You always want the newest, best thing out there and all of it cost money! Sounds like you found some great deals at the pawn shops. If you ever need someone to play with (I use the word play very loosely as I should say, if you ever want someone to go dig up some turf and chase a little, white ball around) let me know and I'll meet you out somewhere.

Of course, we could always combine our love of golf and shooting with the following:

Man you are on for both. LOL.. I know exactly what you mean about the love of the game. I will sure hit you up on the offer. Then we can act like were playing togther. LOL, thanks man, Hopefully talk to you soon.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man you are on for both. LOL.. I know exactly what you mean about the love of the game. I will sure hit you up on the offer. Then we can act like were playing togther. LOL, thanks man, Hopefully talk to you soon.

Just let me know when you're ready. If you can ever take off on a Monday, John Conrad in MWC has $7.00 green fees (doesn't include cart) if you play before 3:30. I'll have to take off work but that shouldn't be a problem. If not, maybe we can hook up and play sometime after work and most weekends are free for me.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Is that hat square??????

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You lucked out for sure, but I never feel bad when I do score a way underpriced item at a pawn. You know whatever the price is, they only gave half that price for it coming in. I figure most places check online if they need to get a fix on pricing. Things are getting bad enough that I've seen pawns refusing to buy if they feel they can't re-sell it. Prices are way down on guitar gear. The pawns are so overstocked with guitars, that their prices are getting as good if not better than craigslist.

Latest posts

Top Bottom