I need someone who can kill some grass and weeds.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lowes carry's a spray that is supposed to be effective at killing grass, and weeds for up to a year.

Could killing all the grass create an erosion problem that would affect your property?

A neighbor killed his last year. I wanted to wait to do anything until I saw what how his reacted. It stayed dead the whole year. He sprayed it himself for $100.

It don't think it will create an errosion problem, the are is pretty flat for about 12-14 feet until it goes into the ditch.

Been through it with 3 people from the city, no straight answers, not when you live in a different county.

If I can't use any of it, I want to kill it all. I'm getting too old to be lifting my lawn mower in and out of my truck.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Roundup becomes inert shortly after contact with the soil.

That depends on the makeup of the soil and how permeable it is. But generally speaking, glyphosate (the active ingredient in RoundUp) does readily adsorb to soil particles, but it doesn't quickly become inert, per se. Its half life, which depends on a number of factors, generally is about 3 weeks in anaerobic soil to 3 months in aerobic soil, and it depends mainly on microbial degradation. It becomes ineffective on pre-emergent vegetation, but can still affect non-target organisms, primarily aquatic invertebrates. The adjuvants and surfactants in a mix containing glyphosate can actually be more toxic than the active ingredient, depending on the mix. Bottom line, the use of any pesticide should be minimized.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be more concerned with the effects of runoff from as much pesticide as it'd take to kill the grass in such a wholesale application. If the ditch lines the road, isn't that on city property or right-of-way? If so, wouldn't they be responsible for mowing that portion of the property?

Bottom line, the use of any pesticide should be minimized.

The county has trucks with huge tanks. They drive around where country roads cross creeks (culverts and bridges) and just flat out soak the areas near the creeks/gaurdrails where the brush hogs can't reach with some kind of weedkiller, all without ever getting out of the truck. Not sure what it is, but it makes green grass brown.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The county has trucks with huge tanks. They drive around where country roads cross creeks (culverts and bridges) and just flat out soak the areas near the creeks/gaurdrails where the brush hogs can't reach with some kind of weedkiller, all without ever getting out of the truck. Not sure what it is, but it makes green grass brown.

Presumably they're doing this only at bridges over dry washes. If they're spraying RoundUp directly on the water in a creek or river, they could be violating several state and Federal statutes.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a tractor and a 60 gal. sprayer, I'll do it for you using Roundup...for a reason able fee and a few cold beers.

I wonder how much a reasonable fee is? If the grass would be dead I would pay it and maybe you could buy a few cold beers out of that since I haven't purchase a beer in 20 years and not looking to start again. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom