I think I am better with red dot than I am with Iron sights.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So I always thought of a red dot just to help you shoot quicker but man sighting in a new one along with some irons I show way better with the red dot. I can just pick it up easier than that front post and I have a better field of view as I can see above and below the dot. Wen I get that hard focus and am ready to fire it is just a lot easier to use. Anyone else experience this?

A good red dot is also parallax free or free after a certain distance. On irons or other scopes the position of your eyes relative to the sight is very important. On a parallax-free red dot, the dot is always on target. The less things you have going on the more you can focus on target and sight.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of red dots, what is a good one for say $50 or less? I have a $50 Cabelas card to use. I saw a couple CP Tactical for under that price.

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good red dot is also parallax free or free after a certain distance. On irons or other scopes the position of your eyes relative to the sight is very important. On a parallax-free red dot, the dot is always on target. The less things you have going on the more you can focus on target and sight.

From what I've read/heard you absolutely need to zero the red dot with the dot centered inside the view window to get the benefit of an almost parallax free optic. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that the optical quality of your shooting eye protection or cheap magnifiers can cause a perception of zero shift if the lenses create a distortion.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Speaking of red dots, what is a good one for say $50 or less? I have a $50 Cabelas card to use. I saw a couple CP Tactical for under that price.

Consider that card as a discount on a good red dot. I've had cheap red dots before, and after going through 3 or 4, I should've just paid the price for an actual quality one up front.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a Meptolight on my AR and an EOTech on my M1A Scout. Both are great sights. If I were to get another AR, I would get another Meptolight RDS.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 135

Latest posts

Top Bottom