I think I am better with red dot than I am with Iron sights.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking of dumbasses, you seem to have reading comprehension troubles. I never said that I focus ON the rear sight.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well sir, looks like another thread starts innocently enough .... only to have the sand begin to fly again. BRB .... find my needle and thread I will, just in case.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find that I am just as fast, if not faster with irons than I am with a red dot. Red dot has its place in the world, but irons rule over red dots any day.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find that I am just as fast, if not faster with irons than I am with a red dot. Red dot has its place in the world, but irons rule over red dots any day.
In certain situations, I might have to agree. In competitions where the game is to shoot the fastest with the most accuracy for the best score, the red dots excel.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was shooting something across the pond the other day and realized that I'm a lot more accurate with the rifle that has a scope than the ones that just have iron sights.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was shooting something across the pond the other day and realized that I'm a lot more accurate with the rifle that has a scope than the ones that just have iron sights.
I'm not trying to derail anything in this discussion, just pointing out that they shoot 1000 yds with irons at Camp Perry National Matches, and the groups are phenomenal.

That takes a special level of training and practice that 99.999999999% of us will never achieve, but it is possible.
I love pond shooting for turtles.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In certain situations, I might have to agree. In competitions where the game is to shoot the fastest with the most accuracy for the best score, the red dots excel.

The army did a study back in 2001. Soldiers were 25 to 35% faster to pull the trigger to engage targets than with irons, out to 200m. 20 to 22% faster out to 300m. Past 300m irons vs M68s were about even

The M68 takes sight alignment completely out of the equation but past 300m, to 500m it equaled out since breathing and trigger squeeze were more of a factor at longer distance. The 2MOA also hindered more at 500m than helped. Having to guestimate bullet drop on a 5ft wide bullseye target as opposed to a E type silhouette

Latest posts

Top Bottom