I want to start reloading.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it. It would only be 9mm for now. 223/556 at some point. I'm looking at a lee single stage kit. They have an anniversary kit that includes most of what I would need. I also plan on getting calipers, some trays and maybe an electronic scale. What else would I need to start? I don't know anyone who reloads but I have a couple books and have been researching it a lot. Also I would need to get the dies kit. All this is under $300. I figured it would cost me a thousand minimum to start up because that's what a guy at h and h told me. Am I missing something?

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the kit i started with and still using to this day and i load
25acp,32s&w,38 spl,357 mag,380 acp,40 s&w 45 acp 45 colt, 223,30/06,30-30,7.65x54r and fixing to start 7.62x53ar
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-breech-lock-challenger-50th-anniversary-kit-90050.html
and your 9mm dies
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-deluxe-4-die-set-9mm-luger-carbide-90963.html
just make sure you get some bushing for your dies when ordering they come 2 to a pack
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-breech-lock-bushings-90600.html

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on the volume of shooting you expect to do. Casual weekend shooting, I'd suggest a RCBS Rock Chucker, If your going to be shooting a bit more, you might want a turret press.

If your going to be a high volume shooter, you will need to look at a progressive.

Some more info about what level of shooting your looking at might help with more suggestions.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on the volume of shooting you expect to do. Casual weekend shooting, I'd suggest a RCBS Rock Chucker, If your going to be shooting a bit more, you might want a turret press.

If your going to be a high volume shooter, you will need to look at a progressive.

Some more info about what level of shooting your looking at might help with more suggestions.

This, it gets expensive upgrading.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would seriously consider getting a balance beam scale. I started off with a Pact and hated it. I could never get it to calibrate right, even with a UPS.

I have a Lee Classic Cast Breech lock press, I like it. Seems pretty durable.

For plinking loads I use Lee Carbide dies exclusively, they're cheap and functional. Just make sure you take them apart and clean them before use.

I use a 1950's teachers desk and a C clamp for a reloading bench. It cost $150 bucks on Craigslist.

Check out the reloading room on Facebook, lots of people on there.

MTM makes a good funnel set.

I have the Lee Perfect Powder Measure and it works pretty good. Lapping the internal cone helps.

Get a good set of calipers, try eBay and local pawn shops. I picked up a Starrett for $40 in Tulsa.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This, it gets expensive upgrading.

Your exactly right.

One has to determine at what level they want to shoot. If you have shot USPSA or IDPA as a beginner, you will need to start with a progressive. You can load one round at a time until you figure out your load, and then start using the progressive part for volume.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom