I'm glad Mrs. Obama is forcing fruits and vegies onto student's trays....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score

I think its a good thing to put veggies on tray, if the kids are tossin it away they are the ones wasting it, not govt.

If you don't currently work for a Government entity, run, don't walk to the nearest place you can sign up. You would be treated as the Messiah's prodigal son....

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also thought it was weird that the school system has all but eliminated recess time and making the kids go out and get some exercise. I also remember having an hour long class in school PE, I believe, that had us doing something physical everyday. I don't even see this as a class on her schedule. She laughed and said she hasn't taken a class like that in years.. WTH

i looked at the satellite photos of my elementary school. the playgrounds and jungle gyms are all gone (it used to have a huge playground on the other side of the campus donated by the optimist club), both baseball fields are gone, the kickball field is gone. what the hell do these kids do for physical exercise?

we used to have to run 2 miles in so many minutes for PE, but in practice anyone who busted their ass and didn't give up, passed.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I agree the government shouldnt be pushing what should be parenting... its downright shameful that some people just let their kids do feck all. All I have to do is count to 2, and my oldest daughter will clean anything on the plate.

Unfortunately most parents don't have the luxury of going to their kids school at lunch time and counting to 2.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Actually the gov is only kicking in $.06 per meal to help with the new meal pattern. Most schools say it is costing them $.30 to $.40 per meal extra to meet the requirements. I'm all for helping the kids eat healthier. But it's not the school lunches that are making them obese. It's the coke they drink for breakfast, the candy and soda they drink when they get home, and the crappy food they eat at home.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am glad they are putting vegetables on the trays. If just a couple of kids eat them and learn to like them good. I do think if we really want to battle childhood obesity PE needs to be reinstated. Not just the Presidents Physical Fitness test, but teaching kids about sports and things they can do for the rest of their lives. The best PE program I had was in middle school in Edmond. We did a week or two of all kinds of sports. PE needs to be more structured in High School. Right now it is jut a place to park kids with nothing else to do.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Parents don't want fat kids? Take away their X-box, laptops and limit TV shows to one hour a night. Sounds easy right? Back in the day, kids could go outside after dinner, play like hell (oops...there goes the diploma) run the neighborhood and be home safe and sound and tired enough to fall asleep.
We can't do that anymore. The minute you walk outside you worry about someone snatching the kid, harming your child, or some gang banger shooting up the neighborhood because someone "disrespected" them.
Schools? fuggitabout it........can't play at recess because someone might get hurt. No more dodgeball, creates hostility and someone might lose. PE? oh hell no.....that mean ol' coach made me do pushups, run laps and is picking on me. Play a game? Great idea....yet no score...we don't want little johnny to feel bad because his team losing. Go outside and play a good ol' game of Army? Again..hell no! Make that finger motion like you have a gun and wind up in detention, suspension or seeing the school counselor for your violent tendencies that you obviously learned at home.
Eating healthy at school? Great idea, but only if parents back it up, but schools need to get back to the basics of physical activity, games and letting kids be kids.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am glad they are providing healthier choices for kids. My son takes his lunch though. He has turkey bologna and pepperjack cheese on sourdough with mustard, an apple and organic pretzel sticks along with a natural fruit juice for lunch everyday. I try to get him to change it up but he likes what he likes. We eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables at home and do vegetarian meals a couple of times a week.

Those of you moaning about lack of physical activity in schools probably don't understand that the decline of phys ed classes end recess have been brought about by republican mandated testing requirements and increased instructional time requirements. And it has only gotten worse with a republican governor and republican controlled house and senate as well as a republican state superintendent of schools. Teachers have less and less time to teach kids anything other than how to take a test and new mandates linking testing performance to a teachers certificate in the state have teachers running scared. Instead of teaching a child the core principals of mathematics and how to do multiplication and division the old school way they teach shortcut methods and use just do it this way rules. I have had the hardest time helping my son with his math because the way we learned math in schools 20 years ago isn't the way they do it now.

I got lucky lat year his 7th grade math teacher was old school had been a teacher 40 years and getting ready to retire she could care less about the mandates and tying assessment testing rankings to her certificate, I understood all of his math assignments and was able to help him with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom