I'm trying to get excited..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
..about hunting this year, but I just can't make it happen. I don't even want to go hunt MCAAP next week. I've not even practiced w/ my recurve in weeks. Last time I did, I put three new holes in my shed (fail). So, wtf can't I get excited about hunting? I pwned a monster buck in Kansas last year, so you'd think I'd be ready to go see what I can get this year.. or is that the problem, I killed a big one last year and this year I'm just 'meh' cause I know I won't get one as big as that around here?

..or am I turning gay? (NTTAWTT of course)

Ugh.

I think I'm going to cancel my motel room in McAlester for next week, no desire to go at all.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man you are about to be flamed for not going on your hunt in Mac town. You gotta remember its not all about the antlers (I had to remind myself of this last week) Its about being out there and seeing all the cool stuff that city slickers don't even know exist.

I watched a 3 point walk around like he was a MACK DADDY and start fights with bucks much bigger than him. The were mostly just playing but it resembled two cats pouncing around locking antlers occasionally. Also watched a couple of bucks play chase with a button head and young doe. Watched a coyote try to run down a small buck. Saved a gray squirrel that was caught up on a barbed wire fence.

I would have missed all this if I stayed at home in front of the tube. I also shot a buck that wasn't anywhere near my biggest. I was kinda bummed about that but I will be honest I was jacked up just like if he had been twice that big.

And besides you could very well kill a monster at MAC. Get outside and practice practice practice. Then get out and hunt ya NANCY.....lol jk

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get checked for depression so I know whether to be nice or flame you unmercifully.

PS, posting from tree. Beautiful morning, 3 deer so far. Just had spikey at. 10yds.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depression is the very first thing I thought of. No joke. Don't mean to be piling on, but it's either that or your getting old.

A famous American has said, "As we grow older, we live with a diminishing portfolio of enthusiasms."

(unless you're a Hoddy or a Bass)

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geez people, how quickly are we jumping on the medication train?!

We have one of the most wonderful sports in the world, and the ability to wake up every morning with a different excitement and motivation! What in the world is there to be depressed about?!

I would say you might be less enthused because you know you're probably not going to beat your bruiser from last season. That's fine. Don't make it a competition. Try something different this time. Try going for meat. Or try going for a more accurate shot. If you're frustrated with your bow, start practicing for rifle.

Also, test your bow at 5 yards, then 10, then 20. If its consistently inaccurate, it might not only be you. Take it in and have it setup again. Bows are easy enough to practice wherever. I would put that monster behind you and set a new goal for yourself. Worst comes to worse, switch your target. Maybe you're all set with deer for now. Try some hog hunting, or predator, anything to keep things fresh.

Hope I don't sound too peppy...just want you to discover your love of hunting again!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geez people, how quickly are we jumping on the medication train?!

We have one of the most wonderful sports in the world, and the ability to wake up every morning with a different excitement and motivation! What in the world is there to be depressed about?!

I would say you might be less enthused because you know you're probably not going to beat your bruiser from last season. That's fine. Don't make it a competition. Try something different this time. Try going for meat. Or try going for a more accurate shot. If you're frustrated with your bow, start practicing for rifle.

Also, test your bow at 5 yards, then 10, then 20. If its consistently inaccurate, it might not only be you. Take it in and have it setup again. Bows are easy enough to practice wherever. I would put that monster behind you and set a new goal for yourself. Worst comes to worse, switch your target. Maybe you're all set with deer for now. Try some hog hunting, or predator, anything to keep things fresh.

Hope I don't sound too peppy...just want you to discover your love of hunting again!

I'm pretty sure the medication comments were made in jest...

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have gone through some phases were it wasn't as exciting. I missed last year so this year I have been very excited. I guess it all depends on the individual and what he is experiencing in his or her life at that time and many other factors. If you aren't getting excited this year, hunt or don't it's ultimately up to you. I primarily hunt these days because it's time when just my dad and I can spend time together and have fun doing something we enjoy.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay home. It's a lot easier to just get on the internet and talk about hunting than it is to actually get out and do it. Somebody else will appreciate you NOT being in the woods.

Wow, man. You joking? Hope your hospitality warms up a bit as you're on this forum. First impressions mean alot...rocky start there, brother.

I'm pretty sure the medication comments were made in jest...

of course, I just find it funny that the depression diagnosis gets thrown out so fast! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom