I'm trying to get excited..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it hits everyone differently when they finally take a trophy deer. My brother got a wall hanger a few years back and has basically stopped deer hunting. When I got mine it lit a fire inside me. I wanted another one, bigger this time. I wanted that rush again, just like a junkie.

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I honestly think it's because my other hobby, cycling, is all I can think about and all I've been doing lately. That and with the nice weather we've had as of late doesn't quite take me from Summer (cycling) mode to Fall (hunting) mode real quickly. I'd rather be out enjoying this nice weather on the bike!

Ahh.. we'll see. If I get out of class before it gets dark tonight I'm going to go home and shoot the bow a bit. If it's dark when I get out I'm going to go to the coffee shop and talk bicycles.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you're on top of your issue Seth. I would have said killing the big deer might have you in the "now that I've done that ho-hum spot" (my own definition of personal insanity :) ) Sometimes a little time off can't hurt. I start chasing coyotes when I get that feeling. The stands are fast, the action is usually fast when they respond and its on to a new location. Anyway, hang in there, life is good.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm afraid you've caught hipsteritis. You need some time in the woods to figure it out, or your beer will become cheaper, your coffee will become more expensive, your music will become crappier and your bicycles will have less gears.

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm afraid you've caught hipsteritis. You need some time in the woods to figure it out, or your beer will become cheaper, your coffee will become more expensive, your music will become crappier and your bicycles will have less gears.

If this was Facebook I'd 'Like' your reply, but it is not, so I'll just quote it and put some text in this spot to make it obvious that I like what you said. :thumb:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sure hate to see you miss the hunt at Big Mac.
I'm going to go on record with some of the others and say its from post bigbuckitis syndrome. Get a biggun and think you have reached the pinnacle of your deer hunting life.
One of the reasons I hate to see young-uns get a monster on their first couple of years.
Just get out there and it will all come flooding back to you.

For me, deer hunting is about making memories. I can walk into my shop where the hall of antlers is located and see the first one, the last one I've killed and every one inbetween. I love remembering all the stories. :D

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and thanks for wiping your ass with my Big Mac tag bro, 'preciate it.

Now that we've cleared up the depression issue (I was using dark humor, losing interest in hobbies is a sign of depression) we can move on.

I know several guys who got the big one for their wall and gave up hunting. That's all they wanted. They never really liked hunting. I can't begin to understand that. I guess they just wanted the one accomplishment, or decoration.

I don't see my obsession with hunting ever waning. My dad's hasn't. I can see it changing to where certain parts get "boring", but not hunting all together. Shooting does with guns is already boring to me, but I love shooting them with bows. And I love hunting mature bucks, though I rarely see them.

It does sneak up on me some years, but after a couple sits on stand I get the passion back. This year was one of those years. I was out kayaking and whatnot in summertime weather with non-hunting friends, then I was in a tree stand a week later. It seemed weird at first, but now October is gone and I'm wishing I could prolong deer season because I enjoy it so much. If I didn't have all that time to clear my head, I don't know what I'd do. Prolly drugs and poetry or some crap. And nobody wants that.

I was also kind of bummed about it killing some other weekend/evening stuff I would have liked to do in October and November...but after a couple weeks IDGAF about that stuff. I have 10 months a year to be a normal person. I need to make the most of every deer season. Get used to my voicemail folks, it's handling my calls.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I honestly think it's because my other hobby, cycling, is all I can think about and all I've been doing lately. That and with the nice weather we've had as of late doesn't quite take me from Summer (cycling) mode to Fall (hunting) mode real quickly. I'd rather be out enjoying this nice weather on the bike!

Ahh.. we'll see. If I get out of class before it gets dark tonight I'm going to go home and shoot the bow a bit. If it's dark when I get out I'm going to go to the coffee shop and talk bicycles.
Normal as it gets Seth.

As you grow and mature your priorities gradually change.
Everyone is different but as time goes by what was once very important becomes less so and other priorities move to the top of the list.

Latest posts

Top Bottom