I'm trying to get excited..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As you grow and mature your priorities gradually change.

I know more than a few old timers who disprove that theory. :D

Then we have people like my bro-inlaw. They get all excited about hunting, but don't really like it that much when they are there.

His last night in deer camp, he came in in the dark after work. Set his tent up in a low spot. It was 40 something degrees and rained like a tall cow pissing on a flat rock that night.
I crawled out of my dry, heated tent the next morning to see a look on his face like someone had kicked his dog. "I'm cold. I'm wet. Everything I have is wet. It's all wet, man. I think I'm just going to go home".

I heard him driving out as I walked into the woods that morning, and he's not been back.:igetit:

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know more than a few old timers who disprove that theory. :D

I knew someone would interpret my post differently than I intended. :)

People just have different priorities at different times in their lives depending on what life is like for them at the time.
Having a family or starting a new career can drastically alter what your priorities are at the time.
Some people drift away from a hobby or interest and later in life return to that interest because it takes them back to a happy time.

A few years from now, Seth might want to share the hunting and wildlife experience with his children(when they are old enough) and then it might be a high priority again.

I just think people don't stay the same all the time.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seth you may just be bored with deer hunting for the time being. As you know it takes a lot of time. patience and energy to deer hunt. Time is something we can never get enough of or ever get it back so invest it in what you find enjoyable & don't waste it feeling guilty. Passions sometimes change so don't worry. Be happy.

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna hunt Big Mac.

After work, I got out of class early enough tonight that I had a very brief bit of daylight available to sling a few arrows. I did alright. I'll shoot some more tomorrow night and this weekend.

I had my wife snap a shot w/ my phone - how does my form look? Terrible? I realize it may be tough to see clearly w/ the hipster processing and all, but I forgot to turn the hipster option off before giving it to her. Oh and I won't be wearing slacks and dress shoes when I go.

ai1021.photobucket.com_albums_af340_HiImSeth_1288310034498.jpg

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yay Seth! You should have nice weather, and will be catching the best part of the rut...so it should be fun anyways. You'll at least get to see some large antlered ungulates, even if they are on the manicured lawns of the buildings chasing does. The weekend you're going is the best weekend buck kill-wise usually.
Every time I've been there (yes even in November) it's been hotter than the hinges of Hades and windy. :(

I'll save the form critique for those better than me. I suck too bad to judge others. The main thing is if it works for you.

P.S. If you kill a deer in slacks and dress shoes that adds bonus points I'm pretty sure.

Good luck to you!

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be honest, you fockers got me excited about this again. I've got my maps and all that business printed off and I'm ready to gfto there and kill something.

I need a good man book to read while I'm out there, not Playboy or Hustler type man book either, one with real words and very few pictures. I'm about done w/ 'Killer Angels' and will certainly be done w/ it by the time I'm out there hunting. Give me some suggestions.

Unfortunately I didn't get anything in the mail, all I have to bring are what I printed off the Controlled Hunt website. Seems last time I had some type of more official permit of sorts. I called down to Big Mac and the guy there said I should've got something, but if I don't have it then they can look me up and I'll be alright. Anyone else experience that? I may call the wildlife dept just to make sure they can't send something my way.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They'll check your ID, give you a hard time, but let you hunt. I've seen it happen a few times. I'm glad you are going and I hope you have some good luck.

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They'll check your ID, give you a hard time, but let you hunt. I've seen it happen a few times. I'm glad you are going and I hope you have some good luck.

Actually, I just called the Wildlife Department and they are sending me a permit today! Should have it in plenty of time for next weekend. Kinda strange that none in our group (3) received the letter though. I'd guess it slipped through the cracks and ours somehow didn't get sent.

Reaction score
I honestly think it's because my other hobby, cycling, is all I can think about and all I've been doing lately.

In that case, no worries, mate. You've just subbed out. You'll likely come back around in a few years as the interest in each ebbs and flows. Or not - either way, you've got a good hobby. Just don't go nuts and sell all your gear, because the interest will likely boomerang back around again!

Cycling a lot will help you stay healthy - so much the better for hunting well into old age. Go with your gut and follow that cycling bug - just get a rear view mirror and stay vigilant - don't end up with a roadside memorial like some of these poor guys lately.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I'm glad you decided to hunt. Remember, the worst day huntin is always better than the best day at work! I'm in the stand now and have seen two bucks this morning and I could have EASILY stayed in bed and slept in. I sure am glad I didn't! Good luck to you Seth. A friend of mine killed a monster there last year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom