Incredibly Hot Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
8000’ seems to be about the right altitude to stay in the 70’s and low 80’s.
Back when I was in college, I took a class called "orientation to professional meteorology" where they brought in professional meteorologists to tell us what they did. One group they brought in was a group of USAF meteorologists. (As an aside, our Dean was a USAF veteran; he said with a BS in Psychology, he figured they'd put him in intelligence or something relevant to his degree, but the Air Force, in its infinite wisdom, made him a forecaster in Saigon.)

At any rate, one of the questions the USAF forecasters got was what was their worst duty station. They all answered Hawaii. They said it was actually a very nice place to be, but it had the most mind-numbingly monotonous forecast. Every day it was sunny and in the 80s, except for when the occasional typhoon dropped in for a visit.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Elevation helps but has more to do with Latitude than how far above sea level to beat the heat. WY is the 2nd highest mean elevation in the US while Alaska is 15th. One interesting thing is that HI has a higher mean elevation than AK. This is an interesting chart.

https://www.netstate.com/states/tables/state_elevation_mean.htm
When we were fishing in Alaska a couple years ago, our guide said he rarely kills either sheep or goats, I can't remember which, above 5k feet lol.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been in se Oklahoma for the better part of 59 years. Some years are hot and dry and some are hot and humid.
I've lived in Oklahoma for more than 50 years myself. If you really want to know what the weather is like, the Oklahoma Climatological Survey has the records, and things might be different in the SE part of the state, but most of Oklahoma is hot and dry in July and August. The rains we've had this summer are decidedly not the norm.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've lived in Oklahoma for more than 50 years myself. If you really want to know what the weather is like, the Oklahoma Climatological Survey has the records, and things might be different in the SE part of the state, but most of Oklahoma is hot and dry in July and August. The rains we've had this summer are decidedly not the norm.
Not the norm but it does happen. Oklahoma weather can be crazy. I have seen it hit 109 in OKC other years it has not gotten above freezing for a month.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not the norm but it does happen. Oklahoma weather can be crazy. I have seen it hit 109 in OKC other years it has not gotten above freezing for a month.
Yeah, it does happen, as it has this year, but this year's humidity is the exception, not the rule. The year we set the record for consecutive days in triple digits it was dry as a bone, which is a heck of a lot more tolerable than what we've seen much of this summer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I was in college, I took a class called "orientation to professional meteorology" where they brought in professional meteorologists to tell us what they did. One group they brought in was a group of USAF meteorologists. (As an aside, our Dean was a USAF veteran; he said with a BS in Psychology, he figured they'd put him in intelligence or something relevant to his degree, but the Air Force, in its infinite wisdom, made him a forecaster in Saigon.)

At any rate, one of the questions the USAF forecasters got was what was their worst duty station. They all answered Hawaii. They said it was actually a very nice place to be, but it had the most mind-numbingly monotonous forecast. Every day it was sunny and in the 80s, except for when the occasional typhoon dropped in for a visit.
I had a good friend in the Army that got a multi year deployment to Hawaii. He said something similar in that when you go to the closet in the morning to get dressed, there are only shorts and hawaiian shirts on the hangers. No long britches, no jackets, no long sleeves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom