Insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For everyone discussing roof replacement - when the time comes to replace, then shop around and consider a metal roof.
I've had mine for 15 years now and no problems and no dents.

Metal roofs cost a little more for install, but the additional life-span and durability makes up for the cost. (And No, it's not loud during rain)

Edit: As a bonus, some insurance companies will actually give you a premium DISCOUNT for metal roofs - every YEAR! (...not a 1 time discount)
https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/home-and-property/homeowners/discounts/roofing-materials

Oklahoma weather is brutal. Use better materials.
You should and will get a discount but you must ask. Metal roof, better fire rating.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't say 'law' (of which there are plenty)...I said 'mandated'. And you'll also notice the OP asked about auto and home insurance. So I mentioned both.

And seriously, you don't know there are laws that require auto insurance? And you don't understand how someone not having auto insurance and getting into an accident causes the rates of those who do insure their vehicles, as mandated by law when driving on public roadways, to increase? If you don't, you have some learnin' to do.

Maybe you don't have a mortgage on your house. Good for you if that's the case. For those who do, the mortgage company will mandate you carry insurance on the home. Most of the time, If you don't, they'll carry it on your home for you and charge exorbitant prices.

So, yeah...insurance is mandated in some cases by law (the state/government) and by certain private entities (mortgage and/or finance companies). And my guess is you'd rather pay the cost of insurance than the cost of having your home destroyed.
I have insurance on my vehicles as stated in my post. It’s the law.
Both my houses are paid for, and we still carry insurance on the one my wife lives in. It goes up every year without a claim. They want to asses my property for more than twice what it’s worth including household belongings which I have none and want a ridiculous deductible based based on that value.
I walked away with nothing but 2 of my 4my classic cars and my house when I decided to leave. Gave her everything else including my IRA. Slept on a sleeping bag for awhile before I upgraded to an air mattress. I could sleep in a van. I just need enough coverage to scape the lot and haul it off.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The vehicles may be a wash due to the hotrod but much better on homeowner's and worth moving.
You might consider going with a specialty insurer like Hagerty for the hot rod. I have no idea how much they cost, so it might not be worth the hassle, or it might cost more, but you never know.

Lucky

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After I retired I shopped different companies an had it down to State Farm or Shield of Shelter. Ended up going with shelter. It would be best if you had a friend that was an agent to guide you. Because I don’t feel that the agents tell you all details to get you qualified for best rates or discounts.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just to clarify, my hotrod is a 2019 Scat Pack, not a classic but it does have the 6.4L engine, which is the cause of some of the heartburn with insurance.
I think she was able to get me Mercury on the house and one vehicle and then Progressive for the Scat Pack. Progressive also has my FJR.

I'm not adverse to a metal roof at all, was just always a bit wary of it due to the hail we get. It may not get a hole punched into it but I don't want it looking like the 400lb chick down the street in a pair of shorts.

On another note, HOW THE H*LL do we get folks in a p*ssing match about religion when we're discussing insurance??

Knock it off.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not adverse to a metal roof at all, was just always a bit wary of it due to the hail we get. It may not get a hole punched into it but I don't want it looking like the 400lb chick down the street in a pair of shorts.

In the 15 years I've had my metal roof, I've not had any problems.

About 4 years after it was installed, we had a crazy hail storm come through town. It was nuts, and was hammering the roof WAAY worse then typical hail storms. I seriously thought the hail was about to bust through the decking. (It was that bad.)

Few days later, I checked the entire roof and I found (1) minor dent. Metal roofs are robust and durable. Don't worry about dents.

OR... Just drive through the country and look at other people's older metal roofs. I never see dented roofs.

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might consider going with a specialty insurer like Hagerty for the hot rod. I have no idea how much they cost, so it might not be worth the hassle, or it might cost more, but you never know.
Collector car insurance is absolutely worth it. Much cheaper rates and much better coverage than regular insurance for a lower price. I have all 3 of my cars with American Collectors. $360 a year for full coverage with towing on all 3 cars.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom