Insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well you're under the delusion that insurance companies don't pay casualty/liability claims. I'll just say that our court system is a majority of the problem.

I can give you examples all day long but I'll give you just a few off the top of my head....

Startup trucking company, been around for a year, bunch of 20-30 year old guys that got together and wanted to work for themselves. Did everything right. Somehow, one of their tractors, clipped or basically brushed up against a small truck on the highway in Texas. The tractor did not know anything happened and the damage to the vehicle amounted to 3-4K. Neither vehicle stopped, but it was caught on a dash cam of another vehicle. Either way, the HP was called out and did a report and the occupants of the vehicle claimed no injury. Well, a few weeks later they all of the sudden had soft tissue injuries and to make a long story short, Progressive ended up paying out 125K to one occupant, and 75K to the other. No hospital time, no rehabilitation, no therapy etc. Now the trucking company will likely be dissolved as they were hit with a $35,000 per truck renewal quote from Progressive.

Large Oklahoma company had one of its vehicles entering 169 @71st here in Tulsa. Vehicle entered on the inside lane while another vehicle in the middle lane decided to change lanes towards the inside lane. Middle lane vehicle lost control and while they never made contact, flipped the vehicle. The vehicle had a special needs child inside. Middle lane vehicle driver that lost control and almost killed her kid waited nearly 2 years and sued the company, and ended up with 900k. Inside lane vehicle never knew anything happened.

Last one, Passenger vehicle comes to a stop at the bottom a hill, waiting to turn left. This is approximately 10 O clock at night. Motorcycle comes at an extremely high rate of speed over the hill and collides with the back of the car. Rider is sent flying.......the "body" flies through the air directly under an oncoming vehicles front end. Do you know who the family of rider sued? The individual that basically had a body fly into/underneath their car.

I could go on and on.

Let's get back to roofs though. Oklahoma weather is tough on property, we get some of the worst weather in the US. From one extreme to another, and it could be within 24 hrs. For some reason, people expect insurance companies to warranty a roof and that's not how it works. Insurance doesn't cover your tires or brakes, why should they cover your roof unless the wind or hail causes the damage? Or obviously, any other peril/cause named in the policy. If there's damage, great.... submit a claim. Otherwise, I've seen all sorts of scams and fraud.....I have those stories for days too.... and people wonder why insurance is so expensive.
In the medical field, I see a lot of denials that just shouldn't be denied in the first place. Sure there's appeals, but that's just dragging out what should have been taken care of in the first place. And my experience with property damage claims is that some companies (I can't speak for all of them) won't pay out for straight line wind damage. No documented tornado, no payment. 2 neighbors out here fought for years to have structures destroyed payed for and got nothing because of that clause. If you have earthquake damage, you need an earthquake clause to get paid. But some companies impose a waiting period after an earthquake before they'll sell you a policy. With them happening almost daily, it could be almost impossible to get now.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the medical field, I see a lot of denials that just shouldn't be denied in the first place. Sure there's appeals, but that's just dragging out what should have been taken care of in the first place.

Medical insurance is a completely different situation that involves providers and the government.

And my experience with property damage claims is that some companies (I can't speak for all of them) won't pay out for straight line wind damage.

Which ones? Never heard of this. It's covered

No documented tornado, no payment. 2 neighbors out here fought for years to have structures destroyed payed for and got nothing because of that clause.

Yeah, gonna call BS if this is Oklahoma. UNLESS they somehow got some insurance from "The General" or something shady. Never seen an A rated carrier with that denial.

If you have earthquake damage, you need an earthquake clause to get paid.

Correct. In any insurance policy, the peril needs to be named. Pretty sure they'd go out of business really quick otherwise.

But some companies impose a waiting period after an earthquake before they'll sell you a policy.

Correct. Earthquake activity can last for days...if not weeks. The waiting period can be 72hrs to 60 days.

With them happening almost daily, it could be almost impossible to get now.

Not impossible by any means. However, I'd honestly read what they cover in limits.... do they exclude "man-made" earthquakes.....and what's your deductible. It may or may not be worth it.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Medical insurance is a completely different situation that involves providers and the government.

Even if it's an auto claim?
Which ones? Never heard of this. It's covered

Yeah, gonna call BS if this is Oklahoma. UNLESS they somehow got some insurance from "The General" or something shady. Never seen an A rated carrier with that denial.
I do know farmers was one. It's why I no longer have them. Unless they were just lying to not pay out. In that case, paying them makes no sense.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps you would be so kind as to supply the chapter and verse?

I'm not particularly religious, but have had a good amount of schooling, and I have read the Christian Bible several times; both old and New Testament, in various versions.

I've not yet found any strictures about gambling. I can't remember reading any verse attributed to Jesus that says anything against gambling.

Or drinking alcohol, for that matter.
I'm not sure about gambling but there are a good many verses about drunkenness.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Insurance is gambling. I'm surprised by the number of Jesus followers that pay the price. Gambling is a sin, right?
<--- Jesus follower but I don't claim to know or understand everything in the Bible. Paying for insurance (vehicle and such that you have to keep by Law) the Bible says to obey the law of the land.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did a search for 'independent agent' and got a few hits but not many names, sent a PM to a member but so far that's it.
Anyone have an agent recommendation for a home/auto quote?
I've given Farmer's enough money.

Thanks.
We have had pretty good luck with State Farm but I think it all has to do with the agent you use. Ours seems to try to work in our favor.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might consider going with a specialty insurer like Hagerty for the hot rod. I have no idea how much they cost, so it might not be worth the hassle, or it might cost more, but you never know.
I have Hagerty on my 72 El Camino it’s really cheap but there is a yearly mileage limit

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update #2....

I contacted TMLoftis (a few posts earlier) and spoke with his better half and they can save me some money. The vehicles may be a wash due to the hotrod but much better on homeowner's and worth moving.

The issue is my roof.... I currently have full replacement cost, even at 11 years old and her answer to that was - don't change insurance. Once I get the roof replaced, then look into changing companies.

Is it a dick move to replace the roof and then drop the insurance company?

I did exactly that.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure about gambling but there are a good many verses about drunkenness.
There are also verses against sloth, but it doesn't say you can't sleep or rest.
Verses against overeating and being fat, but nothing says one cannot eat.

Drunkenness and drinking alcoholic beverages responsibly are two entirely different subjects.

All things in moderation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom