Insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update #2....

I contacted TMLoftis (a few posts earlier) and spoke with his better half and they can save me some money. The vehicles may be a wash due to the hotrod but much better on homeowner's and worth moving.

The issue is my roof.... I currently have full replacement cost, even at 11 years old and her answer to that was - don't change insurance. Once I get the roof replaced, then look into changing companies.

Is it a dick move to replace the roof and then drop the insurance company?
I just had my roof replaced. Smaller house, 26 squares on the roof.

I had it replaced (out of pocket) in 2003, cost was a bit over $2800.

This time around it was $13000+.

In 20 years it more than quadrupled in price. Would that my Roths did half as well.

Fortunately, my insurance company covered some of it, despite the age, because of hail damage.

- as a related tidbit, the adjuster told me the life of the average roof in this region is 12 years-

Replacing roofs is a cost of doing business around this region. It's priced into the cost of coverage. Your new company knows this too.

You have a contract with the current company. Make them live up to the terms. Then give them the option to renew. If they can't renew on terms advantageous to you, move on.

It's not personal, it's business.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Insurance is government-sanctioned thievery. I hate insurance. I hate being mandated to have insurance. I hate that I comply with the laws and always carry insurance when many others don't and they cause me to have to pay more for mine. Insurance companies love being in the business until it's time to pay up.

We have an independent agent now for homeowners. It's outrageously expensive for the home we have. We have Progressive for auto insurance.

Aside from a very positive experience with a vehicle loan, USAA is probably the worst company I've ever dealt with for insurance and mortgages. I'd never recommend them unless it was to someone I disliked.

It also chaps my butt that you don't normally get to see the factors (ie: your insurance score) that insurance companies use to rate you.
Insurance is gambling. I'm surprised by the number of Jesus followers that pay the price. Gambling is a sin, right?

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Insurance is gambling. I'm surprised by the number of Jesus followers that pay the price. Gambling is a sin, right?
Perhaps you would be so kind as to supply the chapter and verse?

I'm not particularly religious, but have had a good amount of schooling, and I have read the Christian Bible several times; both old and New Testament, in various versions.

I've not yet found any strictures about gambling. I can't remember reading any verse attributed to Jesus that says anything against gambling.

Or drinking alcohol, for that matter.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t have insurance on my house right now. Looking around. What laws do you speak of and how is my lack of coverage affecting you? I haven’t had the gestapo knocking. My butt is in the wind right now, but they want to insure twice what it’s worth.Of course I have auto insurance. Liability only.
Get ready. If you are uninsured now, then when you do acquire insurance it will be at a ridiculously high rate. You will be considered high risk and irresponsible for not carrying ( this last statement applies to your insurance by insurance companies and also applies to you by your OKSHOOTERS brethren if no iron or aluminum and plastic are strapped to your side ). I have a rent house that is paid for, no mortgage, so I was not required to carry. When I went thru a difficult period years back I took the risk and decided to not carry for a bit as we were past the storm season. Didn't think it was a big deal and would re-shop all properties and vehicles later. When I re-enlisted it was as if I had to pay the back insurance. Auto insurance doesn't seem to have that same effect, which really doesn't make sense by their logic. An uninsured motorist can crash into others property and destroy or damage it but I have yet to see my house leave it's foundation and act with reckless abandon and I'm not strong enough to throw the chimney, garage door or a/c condensing unit at anyone or their property. Special note - The government vehicles are not insured. Years ago a friend of mine's wife took a head on hit from US Army vehicle at fault. They outright said we don't carry and it goes on your insurance that your required to carry. It was a dragged out, lawsuit experience.

Last edited:

prh79

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Update #2....

I contacted TMLoftis (a few posts earlier) and spoke with his better half and they can save me some money. The vehicles may be a wash due to the hotrod but much better on homeowner's and worth moving.

The issue is my roof.... I currently have full replacement cost, even at 11 years old and her answer to that was - don't change insurance. Once I get the roof replaced, then look into changing companies.

Is it a dick move to replace the roof and then drop the insurance company?
No it’s not… I’m an insurance agent and own my own agency for the last 10 years. Insurance companies drop people all the time after years of them paying into their company. They also deny coverage to existing policy holders all the time too because they don’t like their insurance scores.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t have insurance on my house right now. Looking around. What laws do you speak of and how is my lack of coverage affecting you? I haven’t had the gestapo knocking. My butt is in the wind right now, but they want to insure twice what it’s worth.Of course I have auto insurance. Liability only.

I didn't say 'law' (of which there are plenty)...I said 'mandated'. And you'll also notice the OP asked about auto and home insurance. So I mentioned both.

And seriously, you don't know there are laws that require auto insurance? And you don't understand how someone not having auto insurance and getting into an accident causes the rates of those who do insure their vehicles, as mandated by law when driving on public roadways, to increase? If you don't, you have some learnin' to do.

Maybe you don't have a mortgage on your house. Good for you if that's the case. For those who do, the mortgage company will mandate you carry insurance on the home. Most of the time, If you don't, they'll carry it on your home for you and charge exorbitant prices.

So, yeah...insurance is mandated in some cases by law (the state/government) and by certain private entities (mortgage and/or finance companies). And my guess is you'd rather pay the cost of insurance than the cost of having your home destroyed.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For everyone discussing roof replacement - when the time comes to replace, then shop around and consider a metal roof.
I've had mine for 15 years now and no problems and no dents.

Metal roofs cost a little more for install, but the additional life-span and durability makes up for the cost. (And No, it's not loud during rain)

Edit: As a bonus, some insurance companies will actually give you a premium DISCOUNT for metal roofs - every YEAR! (...not a 1 time discount)
https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/home-and-property/homeowners/discounts/roofing-materials

Oklahoma weather is brutal. Use better materials.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom