Insuring 16yr old driver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeperx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We just added our 16yr old son to our car insurance causing it to double!:yikes2:
I knew it was going to be painful but DAMN! We've used Farmers forever but open to changing if it would help. Who do ya'll use? And any advice on the topic would be much appreciated.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I added three 16 year old drivers over the past 4 years and I see no way around the price increase. I did some comparisons with different companies, but the rates were pretty much the same across the board.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make the 16 yo use that car to go back and forth to a job and pay for their own expenses with the car.
Thats what we did. If he wanted to drive, he was gonna 1) pay for his truck (we helped some but he didnt know it) and 2) pay for his own gas, insurance and maintenance items.
A vehicle is a strong motivator for a 16 yo to earn money.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most people now day
We just added our 16yr old son to our car insurance causing it to double!:yikes2:
I knew it was going to be painful but DAMN! We've used Farmers forever but open to changing if it would help. Who do ya'll use? And any advice on the topic would be much appreciated.

Why are you worrying about it? The kid should be paying for the increase.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL Dude, DOESNT matter who you go with, IT GONNA BE PAINFUL!!!!! Just threw my daughter on ours and about lost control of my bladder and bowels!!!!! I was Like, BUT, BUT, shes a girl............ Ours nearly doubled and the lady said be thankful its not a male

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About to add one myself; not looking forward to it. He'll be driving my wife's old car until he buys his own, so that one's (kind of) on me.

BTW - he wants a job (already started applying), so that's not motivation. I'll help him, but as my dad told my brothers and me, "if you want a car, you're going to get a job and pay for everything from the car itself to your own insurance policy". And we did.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think requiring good grades is better payment than requiring they pay for their insurance
My son had a 4.0 since 1st grade, hard to make that a requirement when it was already very important to him.
Its not about payment either, its called learning to be an adult because they are about to be. Teaches them to work, earn money and manage it. Something so many do not understand until they are 25 and in bankruptcy court.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son had a 4.0 since 1st grade, hard to make that a requirement when it was already very important to him.
Its not about payment either, its called learning to be an adult because they are about to be. Teaches them to work, earn money and manage it. Something so many do not understand until they are 25 and in bankruptcy court.
All well and good as long as juggling a job and grades don't conflict which is my point. As for your son having a 4.0 (which you didn't mention before) Not every kid gets good grades easily. My kid frequently stays after school to get extra help from teachers to keep her 3.5. Id rather her keep her good grades rather than get a job and her grades suffer

Latest posts

Top Bottom